A Review of Ghostbusters 1 & 2 on Blu-ray

YEAH, seriously! This is like the one scene I wanted to see sooo bad. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Is it really nowhere on any of the discs, even maybe as an Easter Egg?

  • Xanath

I took tomorrow off to watch the movies and special features. :smiley: Pre-ordered on Amazon about 3-months ago.

Hi! I was the menu designer for these blu-rays and as a huge GB fan, it was an awesome opportunity. Thanks for your comments thus far on them. Just wanted to say a few things about them, some behind the scenes info, in case anyone is interested.

I did several concepts for both of the menu screens, a couple of my other concepts for Ghostbusters 1 actually had Winston on them as well, though the limited (and grainy/dated) photography I was given didn’t give me much to work with, sadly. I was happy that he wound up making it onto the Ghostbusters 2 menu though.

Back to the GB1 menu, thanks for noticing the flipped name patches — I KNEW (as a big fan myself) that there’d be people (you guys) who would notice and appreciate it. I did think about the arm patches as well, but realized if I removed those, you wouldn’t see the logo on their uniform at all (since their other shoulders are away from the camera) so I let that one slide (for better or worse). I even considered flipping Ray’s goggles, but didn’t have the time. Ultimately, I figured the name patches (given that they have letters on them) would be the most obvious thing that would need flipping. Outside of that, the image of them against the buildings is as is — as supplied to me by Sony (to answer the question above). Again, I really wanted to work Winston in there, but couldn’t find a provided shot of him at the right angle or quality.

The firehouse was another thing I didn’t have the time to adjust (the colors) — as much as I wanted to. I also figured that most people, when they picture the firehouse, would picture it with the red doors (I did a little Googling after the fact and even a lot of the play sets out there for it actually seem to have the red doors).

The cars you see in both menus is actually the original ECTO-1 that currently lives on the Sony lot. I went there and did a photoshoot of it specifically for the menus. Of course, for GB2, I had to 'shop it to look more (as much as I could) like the Ecto-1A. Not perfect, I know, but I didn’t have the luxury of shooting the actual car for that one. In the limited time I had, I did the best I could.

It makes me happy that, for the most part, you guys are digging what I did for them. In a perfect world, there was so much more I wish I could have added to them (animation and sound effects would have been cool), but they are what they are. Thanks!

Awesome. Welcome to the site.

Feel free to share anything else you can! I’m sure we’d all love to see more.. or even the concepts if you were able to share them.

Cool! Thanks for posting. It’s always cool to hear from the people behind the work. Don’t take our overly-critical discussion as a negative. The menus look cool and I bet the project was a blast!

Thank you for the great work you put in on the menus, they look fantastic! I really dig the GB 1 menu, but I LOVE what you did for GBII. Glad they hired someone with dedication to the project rather than someone who would have just thrown something together real quick and called it a day.

Wow, thank you so much, Havoc0213 and d_osborn! Your comments really mean a lot to me. Like I mentioned above, there was sooooo much more that I wanted to do with them, but budget and time constraints didn’t allow it. I had a lot of little “bells and whistles” that I designed that didn’t make the cut for various reasons. I squeezed in as much love for the movies (BOTH – I’m a big fan of the 2nd one, too) as I could. :slight_smile:

Wow. Picture quality of Ghostbusters 2 is fantastic. It’s almost like watching it for the first time.

Thank you for making such awesome looking menus. The Ghostbusters II one is my background on iPad and MacBook. People in Court noticed that after three years I changed my wallpaper.

Both menu efforts are far superior to the rather laid-back effort Sony made for the Ghostbusters II DVD back in 1999, so good work ReadyToBelieveYou84. :slight_smile:

It was cool getting to watch those deleted scenes, and getting to see something new from that film after all these years. It’s a shame that some of the scenes we knew about weren’t there, but of the ones we were given, it was good to have that added material.

I can definitely say though that the version of the guys meeting Venkman at his apartment as used in the movie felt like a better take. I do wish the scenes with the Mayor at the museum had been kept, as well as Louis chasing Slimer.

ReadyToBelieveYou84, you did an incredible job on these menu designs! My heart skipped a beat with GB II especially.

It’s delightful that Ghostbusters II is getting a little more love and attention instead of ported/lacking menus of previous releases.

Please do share any alternate concepts of these if you can. All of us fans would sure love to see everything!

It’s great that the song plays in its entirety as well.

Has anybody re-done/re-worked the artwork of the new U.S. GB 1&2 blu-ray set to fit in a plastic blu-ray case that holds two discs (properly)? I hate the new set with the discs laying on top of each other. I was thinking with some scans and some photoshop work, an insert could be made and printed to fit in a nice, more durable plastic blu-ray case.

I don’t like that set-up either for the interior with the discs, but if I was going to make a more durable case, I certainly wouldn’t use this cover artwork. Its really just god awful in my opinion. My apologies to ReadyToBelieveYou84 if that was your work. You did a great job on the menus though. Love those.

I’ve never been a fan of carboard digi-pack type packaging either. I like a plastic case that can be replaced if damaged.

I thought maybe some of you guys would like to check this out:

http://www.doblu.com/2014/09/18/ghostbusters-2-blu-ray-review/ .

My friend reviews blu-ray discs, and he not only talks about his views on the movie, but he hits the technical side of what you’re seeing and hearing on the disc. Anyway, I thought you might enjoy it.

Awesome work on the menus and they have a nice depth normally. Also even more on my TV’s 2D to 3D feature.

I’m surprised they had them at my Walmart’s when the GB release last year wasn’t.

Unfortunately I read some are missing discs and one said they had two of the first film in theirs.

Wow, guys — thanks for all your kind words on my menus for GB1 and GB2. Does this mean I’ve earned a Nestle Crunch bar? :wink:

To address a comment above, my work on this project only extended to the menus, not to any of the package design or construction of the set — so feel free to criticize it all you want! J/K :slight_smile:

Oh, and I, too, love that Sony allowed me to use the song in it’s entirety on the menus (we usually are asked to limit our menu music to around the 1 minute mark). I actually considered requesting to use the Run DMC Ghostbusters 2 theme on #2 just to set it apart from the first movie a bit more, but it didn’t happen.

lol I was actually wondering if you had considered that. Bummer it didn’t happen, but again, they’re great the way they are!

You… you’ve definitely earned it :crunch: lol

Had the original non 4k blu ray and it looked bad in spots, grainy etc. My wife and I love watching it but it made us cringe at the grain. Only watched GB1 of the new set, but wow a big difference from the first release and I still see grain but it is a 30 year old film, so can’t gripe. Need to watch GB2, but really happy GB1 on the new set looks good.