Franchises begging for money again.

hi

This. Quoted for truth.

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/holden68/my pc_39.gif)

Spot On… if you are genuinely concerned about giving donations, then it should’nt matter if you are in a GB uniform or a pair of shorts, thongs and a singlet …if you are of the opinion that you will only donate to a charity if you can wear your pack and uniform, then you may have to face the cold ,hard reality that GB Fans may not be the place for you !!

Again Well done mburkit !!!

It’s this very cynicism that’s led to the worthwhile charities having to push harder and harder to bring in a reasonable amount of donations for their cause.

The acts of the selfless costuming-for-charity Ghostheads shouldn’t be tarred with the same brush as the creator of the kickstarter page.

One group asking for donations for their props is not the norm. Why is the “ethical” question of costumed Ghostheads doing charity work only being asked now after years of good work being done.

It’s no skin off your nose if someone wants to help raise money for charity. It sets a good example not just for the rest of us but sets a great example to the public of the sort of people we can be, not just a bunch of geeks hanging out at conventions but people helping to make a differance, and raising a smile whilst doing it.

You might hate bell-ringing Santas but I think Ghostbusters raising money for charity, and a lot of other charity costume groups are more approachable… largely because they’re there because they’re passionate about helping, not because the charity hired them to pester people on the street.

I’ve helped raise money for charity through three events now, once as part of the U.K. Ghostbusters and once specifically through Doctor Who costuming and once through a mixture of sci fi and action hero characters… all concerned had a great time and we were invited to visit some of the kids at Great Ormond Street Hospital who would be benefitting from the money we helped to raise.

And don’t even get me started on the long list of things the Arizona Ghostbusters have done to date. More people could learn from their example.

A lot of us dress up in costume for conventions, there’s nothing wrong with going to that effort for something that actually benefits someone other than ourselves. You don’t like charitable Ghostheads? Fine, you don’t have to participate, nobody’s forcing you to.

Just don’t go out of your way to spoil the atruism of others.

Don’t take my comments wrong: I feel doing charity in general is a great thing. I’ve done many charities both as part of the Philadelphia Ghostbusters and on my own accord. But charities are there to help individuals in need, not to give you a reason to wear a proton pack. Some stand by the stance that “charity is charity, it doesn’t matter why you do it, as long as you are doing it is what matters.” But I feel if you do charity as an attempt to justify yourself and your actions, I don’t feel that is appropriate. If you are using charity as a way to flex your ego or even as a way to have stuff donated to you (instead of a charitable organization), well then I think you need to re-evaluate your choices.

I’m not saying I’ve necessarily seen this in this community, its just one of my fears that I feel is inherent within what we do and has the ability to exist.

I’m going to weigh in on this since the Columbus Ghostbusters have done charitable events. We’ve also had heated discussions on where to draw the line. I’ve always maintained that if we do a charity/family event, it should be something that makes sense for us to be there like Halloween events or movie showings or other movie themed events. We’ve actually done a few events that I was personally uncomfortable with because it was something we shouldn’t have been involved with as a costume group. As volunteers maybe, but not as a GB. However we’ve never taken donations. We’ve only done events to be part of the entertainment. Plus we always contact the event planner to make sure they are comfortable with us being there. We don’t just show up in costume. Personally I’ve changed my opinion on doing charity events. I mean it’s really easy to get caught up in all the stuff the Arizona guys do and think " Oh man I wanna do that too." But honestly it comes back to the question of whether or not Ghostbusters are appropriate for the event. I would think a good rule for franchises concerning charity events should come down to appropriateness for event or specifically asked by the event coordinator.

Costuming in general is narcissistic to begin with. Whether you’re willing to admit it or not, you do it for attention. If you try to deny it then you can also add denial to your list of personality flaws.

Does this make you a bad person? No, not at all, but don’t use phony altruism to try to justify your narcissistic nature.

If anyone says that they got into this hobby purely for the sake of doing charitable work then I say, leave the proton pack at home and just do charity because it’s the right thing to do. Either that or get a Santa Claus costume and leave us alone.

It’s only a matter of time before one of you gets caught in a legal battle over your “charity” work.

My stance on this has been exactly the same all along and this debate has been going on for months, it’s just been happening behind the scenes to spare the feelings of those groups who think they are genuine non-profit organizations.

This kickstarter nonsense was just a perfect opportunity to showcase all that is wrong with the concpept of bell-ringing Ghostbusters.

I normally do not agree with Kingpin, but this time I think he is spot on. We all got into this for fun. And that fun has given us the abilty to raise a bit of money for charity. So if you want to do it thats fine. If you don’t thats fine too. I see no harm done when helping people when dressed as a ghostbuster. On the flip side I do not agree with teams who charge people to show up places. Or teams who will only take pictures with people if they donate money. When it becomes only about money or how much you raised the fun is gone.

A+

I brought this up about 2 years ago. The AZGB’s didn’t care for my opinion, but that’s certainly their right to disagree. I still don’t see the point of dressing up like a Ghostbuster, outside of October, to collect money for charity. I don’t think most people associate Ghostbusters with cancer walk-a-thons. They didn’t do it in the movie, plus it’s not very practical. If you want to draw attention to yourself so people will donate, there are probably better, more rational ways to do it. That’s just my opinion.

A++

Ultimately my draw here was its not the 501st.

There are no rules as far as what you can and can’t do costume wise etc.

Whatever charity you want to do is up to you. Profiting from anything under the guise of charity though is wrong.

Vinny you are 150% correct.

Against my better judgement, I’m going to throw in as well. Why there is a belief that Ghostbusting groups doing charity will destroy the image of the entire community is beyond my comprehension. We’re all in this hobby (or we all SHOULD be in this hobby) for the fun of the thing. If that fun leads to helping someone in need, then I think that’s terrific.

The Houston group has (so far) been involved with four charity events, and we were invited by the event coordinators to attend. The first was a Memory Walk to raise funds and awareness for Alzheimers. We were inivted to be at the event for entertainment and photo ops, and we decided that if we’re going to be there anyway we would do better to register as a team and raise funds for the thing and actually participate.

We wound up earning over $1,300 for the cause, we had fun and people were entertained. What’s wrong with that? Seriously … if you can actually give me a compelling argument for why that’s a bad thing, then I’ll actually reconsider doing charity work as a Ghostbuster.

What was the point of providing a dollar amount in your post? This is exactly what all the “charity” franchises do all the time.

“So and so Ghostbusters just raised so and so dollars for so and so charity.” Is it about how much money you raise or the fact that you’re doing something good? Are you really being selfless or are you just self-promoting?

Is this a competition to see how much charity you can do for bragging rights among the other groups? Why not just say “We were invited by a charitable group to help out and we showed up and we had some fun and did some good in the world.”

There are people out there who do charity weekly or even daily and they don’t go around boasting dollar amount or saying “I fed 25 homeless people today so I must be a good person.” They do it selflessly and they don’t have to put on a costume for attention to do it. There are better ways to get yourself on the news. Don’t dress this up as something more than it really is.

We all enjoy the attention but this entire deal just cheapens the face of charity and those who really believe in it.

Donate some blood or volunteer at an animal shelter or do whatever makes you happy but do it in civilian clothes because you actually care and not for a chance to be on the local news.

QUICK, EVERYONE, LOOK AT THE TORTURED MEMBER, THAT NO ONE EVER TALKS TO BECAUSE HE THINKS EVERYONE IS OUT TO GET HIM.

QUICK, EVERYONE, LOOK AT THE GUY THAT HAS A DIFFICULT TIME SEEING THROUGH ALTRUISM AND THE SELFISH NEED TO WEAR A COSTUME. you can wear regular clothes just the same as a ghostbuster uniform. i didnt know the minute i put mine on it came with a change bucket.

1 Like

Like most have been saying, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it, but some people are using it solely as an excuse to get attention for themselves, and wind up getting a big head (ie - charging for appearances, with a “donation” even though they don’t say where it goes…) or acting high and mighty because they do charity work. For example with this Kickstarter project: “We’re going to help Charity so give us money to make props.” What? No. One could get the same effect by walking around in a jumpsuit, doing the dance with the Ghostbusters theme playing on a boombox behind you.

If you can drum up extra donations because you’re having fun, awesome! If you’re using charity events to benefit only yourself that’s where the problem arises.

I never once mentioned being on the news, or wanting to be on the news. I didn’t have an ulterior motive for giving a dollar amount, it was a simple fact of the matter, not a competition or a benchmark for “being a good person.” I’m sorry that offended you. If you wish, I’ll reword it “We did good for the community, we had fun, people were entertained.”

I fully understand that we’re getting attention for being in costume, but in this case that attention was diverted into the charity. Like I said, none of us went to this charity for the express purpose of promoting our group or our costumes. Quite the contrary, we used our group and our costumes to promote the charity. If there is something fundamentally wrong with that, then you’ve still not convinced me why.

I know that there are people who work for non-profits and volunteer every day for the homeless, the sick, children, elderly, etc. And I applaud them for that, I really honestly do. But that’s not the path that my life has led me down. I haven’t dedicated my life to volunteering 24/7. That doesn’t make me a bad person. So I use my hobby to do good when I can, and I do it because I care, not JUST to get attention. I’m not saying I don’t enjoy the attention. That also doesn’t make me a bad person, no matter what you might think. What I’m saying is what’s wrong with getting attention AND doing something good at the same time?

I’m not accusing you personally of anything. Everything I put out was in the form of an open ended question. This is more for the sake of those who are reading this and who have been or might be planning on getting involved in charity work.

New groups are popping up weekly and are just following the cookie cutter patterns of those around them.

You do not need to get involved with charity work to be a Ghostbuster fan and the two need to have separate distinctions. A lot of people are just not qualified to be responsible for the endeavors that they’re getting themselves into.

As soon as you start collecting any money you’re putting yourself in to a precarious position and there may be consequences. At least know that much going in.

Ah, fair enough. My bad.

I definitely agree that no one IS REQUIRED to do charity work to be a Ghostbuster. That’s not the sole purpose of costuming, nor should it be for anyone. Also, there AREN’T requirements for being a Ghostbuster. This isn’t a centrally controlled community. I just don’t understand why some people here believe that NO ONE should do charity work as a Ghostbuster.

And like I said. Good for them. That’s how they do charity, this is how I do it. You can’t make me feel guilty for doing so.

I never said that NO ONE should do it. But why do it at all if for the wrong reasons? There is just too much risk involved in using Ghostbusters as an incentive.

Such as?