A little Ecto-1 Fun

I don’t know if I’ll get this done in time for the GB Fans art calendar that AJ’s looking to do. But I thought it’d be fun to take a stab at it anyway.

I’m doing screen recordings as I make it, so it will eventually end up on youtube.com as a speed painting.

Be kind with your comments, I never know how my stuff is going to come out until its finished…

image

Making a little progress…

image

This looks cool! What are you using to create it, some kind of vector program?

Thanks Spidey. I’m using a very old version of Paint Shop Pro. I’m starting to add in details free hand, so its starting to lose some of the “straight edge” look.

Here’s today’s progress…

image

Ok, another update. I got most of the front end completed. The headlights and grillwork are a major pain in the rearend. Fortunately, I’m getting close to being able to start adding lots of textures and shading (the fun part).

I’m thinking about putting some type of image in the background, but not sure what yet. Any suggestions?

image

I’ve started adding shading and color. I’ve hit a slight bump and will have to reverse out a couple of things. But, progress is being made…

image

It looks really good, but why did you use the USF Ecto-1 as the basis?

Dan, I used that shot because I had a relatively high-resolution version that I could reference and I like the nice mix of shadow, light and reflection. That said, I’m not as familiar with the Ecto-1 as I am with some of the other props, so didn’t realize that it wasn’t accurate to the movie.

I’ve made some changes to make the drawing more accurate and continued to work on details, shading and texture. It’s starting to come together. I’ll be working on the background tonight, so hopefully its getting close…

Are you going to put the logo on the door before the background?

Glad to see you made a few changes! Looks a lot more accurate now!

Well, I think I’m done. Check my profile to see the multiple variations I came up with. But I think this is the one I like the most…

image

What do you think?

obi wan has taught you well.

Thanks Unicorn.

One of the windows was bothering me, so I thought I’d give it a tweak. Since I was there anyway, I embedded an image. See it?

Also added lens flare to a few of the lights. Now really, I’m done.

image

that window does look better..I’m always going back and touching up stuff too! it’s hard to call things done.

For those interested in the creative process behind the Ecto-1 pic, you can view a speed painting from inception to completion. Its about 20 hours of work condensed down to less than 5 minutes.

Very cool, KC. I don’t mean to be a stickler, but doesn’t it seem a bit dark on the side? I know it’s shadows/reflection, but it seems a bit too dark, imho.

Still love the work though, man. :cool:

Hey Mr. P-

Thanks for the feedback. I really struggled with the color/shades I used on the side of the Ecto. When I was working on the car in isolation (no background), I liked the contrast I came up with. Definitely within the context of the entire picture its dark -almost like a night time scene.

It’d be interesting to see what would happen if I added another light source coming in from the right side of the picture…