I am a long time prop maker and ghostbuster fan who after years of wanting to do a costume finally decided to take the plunge and do it, sadly though, even though I have been loosing weight I am still going to be too big for my tru-spec come halloween and really did not want a rothco pee suit. I looked into some alternatives and found a Coverall made by Walls outdoors that is strikingly similar to the jumpsuit from the move. the collar is a bit off, it does not have the leg pockets, it does have back and side pokects, and the chest pockets are a tad bit lower but the overall look and color are great. I took a picture of the coverall next to my tru-spec and you could not tell the diference in color. The Tru-spec is a bit shinier and a tinge more orangish but all in all I think this is nice alternative to the Rothco and a great option for those too big to find a kahki flight suit.
i got one originally, but found the material a bit heavy for regular wear. I got mine a bit big, (even with me being a big guy) and this thing fit me like a potato sack in the rear, the pockets weren’t at all accurate, and the collar, even after i sewed the flaps closed, still couldn’t pull off a close enough flight suit look for me-- especially with the two button top snaps..
im sure they were meant for a much taller man than i am, but the sleeve and leg length just made this thing about unwieldy for me, as far as being tucked into boots, into gloves, etc.
i opted for a rothco this year, working down for a truspec, and then hopefully a nomex whenever i can get down that small. i also went with a black suit, so the color accuracy issue with the khaki didn’t come into play with me.
the rothco is a bit missized as ive heard as a regular complaint… the one that was supposed to be the same size as the walls coveralls i got, fit me a little tightly, but will do me until i can get down to a more ideal weight.
i, too, can take pics-- i’d like to see yours though!
heh, think bigger… at least for now…takin that one day at a time, but it is in the works!
it’s also skewed because im not entirely sure of my proper waist size, or the width of my chest.
Shopping as a big guy is a pain because a lot of companies have thier own standards for what sizes should be what.
I have a good leather jacket that is a 4x
i’'ve also got the rothco suit that’s supposed to be a 6x bought to be big, so i’d have some room to move
My Shirts for work are a 5X
and the closet full of assorted black t shirts i usually wear run the gamut from 2-5X
The rothco suit has the pockets a little low on the chest, and ride a little high on the inseam, but i can imagine it’s because it was meant more for a guy that was super tall, not super wide.
Dude, don’t even get me started on how bullshit and biased the clothing industry is.
Popular companies dont make things for big people, they just dont. If you are big and want to wear clothes that fit you properly and dont show your belly or your ass hanging out, you have to shop at mens big and tall casual male or wear big dog, fubu and the like, all that bullshit.
you would think the popular companies would want to cash in on the large/overweight customer base out there, seeing as they are out to make money and america is the “fattest” country in the world.
I fit into a 3XL tru-spec, but I can’t wear a nomex and if i got any bigger, wouldnt be able to wear tru-spec either.
in digging around in some of your previous posts, i read you’ve had rothco as well? what was your sizing there?
according to the size chart Rubain posted, this rothco i have is supposed to be a 58-60" chest, so i might not be that far off from a 3x tru-spec, measured in the chest as well, 53-57". Granted, it is a little smaller than what i can do right now, but i’m workin on it!
…but at the same time i don’t want to get anything else, and realize that EVERYONE’s perception of what these sizes were supposed to be were skewed, and i have a tru-spec that i don’t stand a chance in for a long while.
I ordered my suit from Red Kap. Its simple Khaki mechanic’s style coveralls. Hardly screen accurate but it fits. I look at it this way, few people you will encounter would know “screen accurate” for squat. I take that same philosophy into account for my Proton Pack too. The "man thats cool as _ _ _ _ " factor will not be deminished one bit come Halloween Night @ Party Time!
FWIW… I am also “large and in charge”. I tried on a Tru-Spec 3XL and it fit ok in the chest and tummy. The inseam was so short it rode up my crotch! Even with a Long Size which adds 3 inches to the inseam! They didn’t have a 4 or 5XL in proper colors. So Red Kap it was.
I’ve dropped 65lbs since last year. My XXXL Red Kap suit is for sale on ebay if anyone is needing one before Halloween. Comes with the Katura arm patch. No name tag though.