Recently on the Ghostbusters Franchises Worldwide group on Facebook, there’s a fear that if you own Spirit equipment that the “Elites” or “haters” are going to just appear and degrade and insult you for owning the Spirit stuff. I don’t understand where this perception started? I’ve been part of this fandom since '05, I’m a seasoned builder and have been around numerous groups and GB events and never once saw or heard anyone tear down another cosplayers equipment. The problem is that this “fear” is gaining traction so much that builders and screen accuracy folks are getting lumped into the elites/haters crowd. Does any one have any basis on where this started? I’ve pointed out to some of this Spirit crowd that without those that populate this very forum who were pioneers in measurements and tracking down the correct parts and fittings and made it so the fandom could have easily accessible light kits and ribbon cables and such that the Spirit equipment wouldn’t exist or be as decent as it is. I’m a builder and proudly wear my built full size equipment and I’ve modded a spirit pack for my son and temporarily for our new petite lady GB, but I’m scratching my head on when it suddenly became wrong to strive for accuracy or to have the pride of building your own equipment. Kudos to Spirit for making the equipment available at a low price, but that price is also reflective of quality. The PKE’s are well known by Spirit employees to have poor electronics, the packs are small with the stock thrower being even smaller with shoddy electronics, the traps doors are known to malfunction and the goggles are the most heavily modded piece next to the pack. The point is Spirit stuff isn’t meant to be prop quality but more a decent looking piece that can get you through a few Halloween get togethers without modding them. I appreciate that they make it easy for people who may not have had the skills or money to get into this fandom, but I also think that this “elite/haters” thing is an internet legend that’s suddenly encompassed the fandom and it’s new crop of fans.
NOTE: The next paragraph is my own opinion
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but outside of some negativity I’ve seen online (let’s face it everyone is brave sitting behind a keyboard) I’ve never seen one instance of in person negativity. I personally think also that long established groups that have full sized gear and uniforms shouldn’t just let anyone in just because that person likes Ghostbusters. Some of these older groups are also getting called out by the Spirit crowd for having standards and that’s wrong. Most of the long time fans have been around since the days that you had to build your stuff to have it and created groups to showcase that and to do civic oriented activities. They had to work hard for what they have. I think it’s arrogant for certain groups to automatically paint those who have standards as elites or “asshats” when all they had to do was walk into the Halloween store and buy their stuff and move on. I’m sure that there are groups that refuse to host folks with unmodded spirit gear, but that’s their right for wanting to maintain their own personal group standards. Just because we live in the everyone gets a trophy generation doesn’t mean that a screen accurate group should just let in Joe Shmoe who only has a GB shirt just because he likes Ghostbusters.
Full disclosure. I own a Spirit pack. I stripped it down, repainted it, added GBfans lights, printed a correct scale thrower, made a ribbon cable, and added a motherboard and Alice pack. I also own the trap and goggles both of which I modded and had the PKE until it completely stopped working after a week (the story on Spirit’s business tactics is another story). I also own the varsity jacket that I plan to get a decent custom name tag on soon. The Spirit gear is fine for what it is and if it allows more fans to share in the love of the fandom, then Spirit did a great job. If you’re only able to wear spirit stuff, than awesome. But going back to my original question, was this hostility a product of online hate that morphed into this perception that people are going to come after you if you don’t have full sized gear or is there actually widespread in person harassment taking place?
Discuss.
(Writers Note: The views expressed in this essay are purely mine for the purpose of engaging conversation among fellow fans)
Unfortunately there’ve been a handful of individuals who’ve been trolling some of the social media connected to the community with their low views on the Spirit equipment. Just this afternoon I removed a pair of fairly-long threads on the GBFans Facebook account because it was just making the place unwelcoming. One thread basically trolled the concept of buying the gear and modding it to look more accurate, by comparing it to a modified hotdog… Another suggested the rightful place for the Spirit gear was in a garbage can.
The sentiment behind both those topics frankly stunk, that nasty sort of community gatekeeping isn’t welcome, and comes from bored individuals with too much time on their hands and a urgent need of a more constructive hobby.
I can see where some folks may think those encouraging others to strive for greater screen-accuracy may feel like they’re being critical… I suppose we just have to take note of what we say and how it can be interpretted… So that we can try aim to be more knowledgeable and nurting rather than “elitist”.
As I said in response to the social media deletions, this site should be welcome to everyone.
I couldn’t say. I hope that nobody will give Spirit-toting fans any grief if met in person at a convention, but I can’t predict the lows some of us will stoop to.
I haven’t experienced this. At Wizard World there were several people in GB uniforms with modded spirit packs that looked pretty damn good. People were even wearing the plane jane unmodded ones without alice packs. No one hassled any one over them.
Spectre has a point of people being brave behind keyboards. Unfortunately that’s the age we live in now.
My other thought is that e-bay sellers and scalpers want to take them out of business because it’s cutting into their profits where they can’t mass produce thousand dollar packs like they use to. The days of being able to sell overpriced GB parts is slowing down thanks to the pack being mass produced. It’s unfortanate people have to be dicks about spirit products. They are actually very decent.
I will admit ive been procrastinating since I bought my spirit pack. I just removed the little gun and currently am about to attatch the matty wand to mine. I also just zip tied it to an alice pack frame and it looks good without being fully modded.
I guess what makes me angry is that the perception amongst new fans that long time builders/fans are out to get them for not being able to afford expensive stuff. I don’t like that it’s making certain new fans denounce screen accuracy. We’re very lucky that we had dedicated folks who painstakingly researched the equipment and lights and fittings to get us where we are today.
Agreed. I am a huge accuracy chaser, but I love seeing people passionate about Ghostbusters.
I have never heard anyone at a con give someone a hard time for having a spirit pack.
For that matter I have never had one of the super ultra, got to have the original parts or its no good, Ghostbusters give me grief for having a 3d printed pack.
In general the GB community has been the most accepting and helpful nerd community that I have ever been part of.
So yeah, it is HIGHLY unlikely anyone will give you grief for a Spirit pack at a GB event. If they do they are certainly the exception to the rule and you can probably very easily find cooler/better people to hang out with.
If you like your rig, wear it. People are FAAARRRR more likely to tell you how cool your rig is than say anything bad about it.
Someone’s gear is ALWAYS going to be better. Being a jerk because your gear is better is a losing battle.
I doubt that the people that grief over non-screen accurate props actually leave the house often enough to grief over it in person. The people that go to cons and enjoy the company of other fans aren’t going to treat folks like the keyboard warriors do.
When the PKE Meter, Ghost Trap and Goggles were produced by Mattel there was a debate on whether this would be suitable for cosplay or whether or not you’re a “real” fan if you built it not bought it.
Fans of every franchise express themselves differently. From a full near screen accurate build at a convention to just wearing a GB T shirt out on the street and everything in between. It’s all on the individual how they express their love for the fandom.
The merchandise is the best it’s ever been these last couple years for a ghostbusters fan. I say the more options the better.
Im not going to point out the offending franchises, however I have been not so much as harrassed, but been not taken seriously in the past during cons and special events, because I did not have “screen accurate” props. Literally had been told to “go away” on several occasions when trying to talk shop (I am all about screen accuracy and functionality, and always wanting to learn new techniques).
Ghosty- I had the same response. As a relatively new Ghosthead - but life long fan who saw the originals in the theater- I have Spirit gear and have absolutely loved modding it and personalizing it. I have never considered this possible distinction beyond the fact that I have mad respect for original builders and the founders of this community.
I spend hours digging through posts of pack and trap builds and marvel at the skill.
But this post seems to say “how absurd to treat people differently who wear what only my child and little lady wear.”
Even the response that there were these Facebook posts that had to be taken down because they said harmful, hateful things … only to REPEAT THOSE STATEMENTS HERE. (Remove poisonous weed from over there, re-plant poisonous weed here.”
How does bringing the work of trolls to THIS gathering negate that hate?
Here’s the deal folks: there are 4 people left alive on this planet (I’m including Moranis) who got paid to wear the original equipment. The rest of us are ALL just expressing our love and appreciation of their work.
[quote=WillS3 post_id=4909992 time=1539776478 user_id=49061]only to REPEAT THOSE STATEMENTS HERE. (Remove poisonous weed from over there, re-plant poisonous weed here.”
[/quote]
Fair point, and I apologise for doing any of the trolls’ dirty work.
My approach is often “forewarned is forearmed”, and that that knowledge is the best way to combat something. I posted the examples to show that the vitriol isn’t just something that’s been perceived in the minds of those who embrace the Spirit Halloween gear (of which I am an owner and advocate), but was something that had manifested within the community.
I’m sure spirit will be the gate way drug into the franchise. Once you get hooked you want to improve / expand your GB props. I did have the feeling, seeing people putting all this time and money into these packs, why not take the next step. However I ve wasted more money on junk parts that I upgraded or never used, than the cost of the spirit pack. So it’s hard to be too critical. Either way, the more fans the better
I built my Pack, huge investment and time, it looks good but its certainly not 100% screen accurate, in many ways I think it looks better. As for the spirit stuff, I picked up the PKE, goggles, and trap, they look fine on the belt. I look at them as accessories to the rest of the get up. If anyone is getting snooty about authenticity, quality, or really anything along those lines, then those individuals need to take a step back, and realize.
A. We all start somewhere,
B. It is just for fun, nostalgia, and love of the GB Franchise
C. When you really think about it… we are adults playing dress up… and do any of us, myself included have any grounds to judge…
I say if the spirit pack is the way you wanna go, go for it! hell, buy the whole outfit pre-made! doesn’t matter, your just showing your love for the GB world! who cares if someone else devoted more time, or money than you, only time that’s really gonna matter is in a costume contest. Other than that as soon as you dawn a flight suit and the sacred patch as far as I’m concerned, and hopefully I am also speaking for the majority as well, your a Ghostbuster!
I went ahead and tweaked the topic title as to me, the inclusion of “Editorial” ran the risk of suggesting the topic was an official comment on the issue by GBFans, when that isn’t the case.
Fair points everyone. And to ghosty and Will, my intent wasn’t to slam or degrade the spirit stuff and I apologize if you felt that way. I was merely expressing my personal opinions and experiences. I’ve been in this game a long time and seen alot of hostility. When the Mattel stuff came out there was a whole “build not bought” arguement because builders felt short changed because they felt their hard work was going to be devalued by mass produced stuff. That was back in '09. If you weren’t here between 2015-2016, you weren’t privy to the reboot/classic civil war. And now here we are 2 years later with the Spirit/scratch debate. I’m happy at that Spirit is making it easy for fans to join this great hobby, but I, as a builder, don’t appreciate the art of screen accuracy or building your own equipment being pushed away. As newer fans, I welcome you and encourage you to try your own builds because not too long ago that was the only way you could have any of this gear. I know to me it’s extremely rewarding and satisfying when people ask where I got my equipment to tell them I built it. And I don’t have a fancy workshop. I live in an apartment and build on my kitchen table. I’ve seen some folks make “hardware” reboot builds in their bed rooms. As a 13 year member of this site as well as a builder, I fully admit to being old school that you built a pack and earned your stripes. Now it’s no longer the case. Just as older folks trying to come to grips with technology, it just takes time to relearn how things are done. I’ll continue to build because 1. I enjoy it and 2. I’m good at it, and love to challenge myself with new methods. But back to the original point of the post. Has there been a mass in person degrading of Spirit gear or is just a boogie man created by new fans who are still learning the cosplay aspect of this hobby.
Please don’t assume that I’m trolling with this post. I just want everyone to enjoy this fandom, scratch, spirit, cardboard, or whatever. I love to discuss build techniques and share my methods with whoever asks. If Spirit is your game, awesome. If scratch is your game, awesome. But these perceptions need to stop because it weakens the fanbase and keeps it from growing. I’m guilty of that as evidenced in my first post. It wasn’t intentional but did come across as condescending. For that I apologize.
I know for sure that I wasn’t harassed when I wore my Spirit pack to Comic Con. I now have their Ghost Trap but I do have the MattyCollector PKE Meter, and I have plans for homemade Ecto Goggles.
A part of this hate ive seen can also be linked back to money. My background in model and prop building comes from 15+ years of following airsoft and real firearms (Hold on i have a point to make while stating this) Back in the late 90s if you wanted a good gun you had to spend hundreds of dollars ($4-600 easy) for a basic model with no frills or accessories. it was a bit of a badge of honor that you could claim you had X amount of money in to one of your guns. well fast forward to mid 2000s companies where offering up much cheaper alternatives for +/- $100 that could compete with the much more expensive models. and alot of the older guys would bash and belittle them for using an “inferior” gun because of the price and never look at the performance of it or look at the financial situation of the owner. The drop in price to get in to the hobby caused an influx of new players and fans and that in turn caused drama.
Back in 2008 I went to a convention there a franchise was set up and I was so eager to learn and see the gear and rather than talking about the gear it was all prices, guys going back and forth about what they spent. All I learned was that these guys where spending. Now with Spirit making an inexpensive pack that anyone on a budget can go buy im seeing the same thing all over.
Is there other issues that cause this other than money? Yes this is just one ive seen first hand that almost mirrors what we are dealing with now
It’s amazing how hard the ego fights back. One shouldn’t need to belittle another nor expect the same from them to feel good about their own accomplishments. You spend 4 digits and many hours building your own? Someone buying a stock Spirit pack doesn’t detract from that. Don’t let it. There’s value in both: monetary value in the Spirit pack, being inexpensive, and sentimental value, a sense of pride and accomplishment, in your hand-built pack. And those two things aren’t at odds. One doesn’t take away from the other. Both people can celebrate their gear, and each other’s!