Atari Pulls Out of E3

Joystiq is reporting Atari is pulling out of E3 for this year. They hint that Atari may be low on cash for the event and in general. Sounds to me like AJ was very correct at the reasoning for some of the recent developments. Other thoughts?

They say that a bigger, more formal announcement will come soon.

Atari has apperently decided to “show up”, but not present anything. :sigh:

http://www.kombo.com/article.php?artid=13018

it wont be in someone elses booth, like SOnys?

Let’s hope that Ghostbusters is a success in the US and in the Autumn in PAL regions so that if Atari is in fact low on cash, they can get back up on their feet. If Atari goes under, it might not be a good look for the game and potential sequels.

This makes me a little nervous. Are they hoping that the sales from GBTVG will bring in the big pay day? I suppose it will generate quite a bit of revinue but I just hope they are not trying to get on their feet just from this game. I was hoping for some new info from E3 for this game. I know they can’t give out much more but I would like to see some videos of stuff we have not seen yet. Regardless of what I see early on I will still buy the game and play through it myself. Oh well.

This could be money related but if I remember right,after last years E3 weren’t there alot of game companies and developers fed up with the politics and bs surrounding E3 and the people that run it?I could be mistaken but it seems like I remember something about E3 going under and /or getting alot smaller in favor of some of the other shows during the year.

I read something about that in relation to Atari. They were one of the game companies that were invited to attend in an attempt to make things more like they ‘used to be’.

I also heard another perspective in that Atari doesn’t have very many 3Q/4Q releases so spreading out Ghostbusters over the 6 months will give them a good revenue stream for the rest of the year.

Hopefully its about the demo info

:smiley:

If they think that ghostbusters is going to save the company then they are sadly mistaken! If, as some here pointed out, it isn’t a system seller then it certainly isn’t a company saver.

I would imagine the announcement is more about the reasons for backing out of E3 and not so much about the GB game, but we shall see.

I have just found out that, indeed GB:TVG WILL be at E3, but it might be presented by Sony.

“Although we feel E3 benefits the entire games business, we are very focused around other selling and marketing initiatives for our upcoming Ghostbusters, Champions Online and other to be announced titles.” - Atari Spokesperson

“Atari fans needn’t worry though; Ghostbusters: The Video Game will still be at E3, although it’ll be in Sony’s hands then.” - i4u.com

I don’t care for atari’s games. They have maybe 4 colors on screen at once, the graphics are blocky, and the sounds are just bleeps, bloops, and hisses. good riddance I tell you.

Tell me about it. They haven’t had a hit since Pogo Monkey where you just swing from green dot to green dot with you red square monkey.

Really with the bashing of Atari all of a sudden? Like are we really going to sit here and bash them for actually saving this video game from actually not happening did we all forget this? I mean come on already you guys make no sense now all of a sudden their games suck? so let me guess before you were all over their shit and now your like ehhh they suck now. Did we also forget that riddick is selling good and thats made by atari. Shut the hell up already

Sorry bud, but most Atari games do suck. The only reason that they have good ones now is because they picked them up (Ghostbusters and Riddick). To their credit they are trying to rebrand their image, but honestly Ghostbusters will be the first Atari game I’ve bought in some time. And no I’m not bitter about them shifting the game to Sony because I live in NA so I’m not affected. Just stating facts. And as for them “saving the game” you seem to forget that several publishers were trying to secure it. Despite popular misconception this game was never in danger of being cancelled.

Yeah I understand that many publishers were trying to get in on this obviously they had nothing on the table for them so Atari must have done something right at the time to get this publishing right besides the fact that one of Sonys very own Phil Harrison took over. Just to add one thing also man those dragon ball z games that came out for ps2 always did well and actually had decent scores from ign. I am not a big dragon ball z fan at all but they do pretty good in sales.

as i suspected. SOny probably wants it to look as exclusive to them as possible.

Yeah I’d heard those were pretty decent too, but passed them over as I’m not a fan of the franchise either. I wish them the best and hope this game and their others sell well so we get more GB games :cool: !

Atari outside the US is officially no more.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/05/atari-brand-leaving-european-continent/

Last year I bought the new Alone in the Dark game, the one set in Central Park. Aside from one bit of the ending, I really enjoyed it, and that was an Atari title.

The thing is, I’m in one of the regions affected by Atari’s current finacial issues… but I hold no ill will against them. The global market’s in the toilet, which isn’t their fault…

And Sony could’ve as easily picked up the PAL distribution rights for all versions of the game and not just the ones on Playstation. It could’ve made Atari’s job easier if Sony released all console versions for the game on June 16th/19th/whatever the actual date was in the Pal regions, leaving Atari to devote all its efforts to the North American/NTSC release.

I wonder how the European arm of the company folding may affect things further.