Best Episodes Beyond Season 2

It’s pretty much an acknowledged consensus that the first season and the syndicated season of RGB are the best of the series. Great over all with a couple of duds here and there. Is the reverse true for season three and on? Most of them are terrible, but were there any gems hidden the rough?

What were the best episodes post season 2?

There were still some watchable ones from 1988-on, but here’s the ones I’d rank the highest.

“The Boogeyman is Back”–Though it probably would have gone from “good” to “downright awesome” without the f***ing Junior Ghostbusters in it.

“The Grundle”–Written by JMS. (Lorenzo Music would have nailed the speech Venkman makes to Alex at the end. Coulier did better than his usual with it, but still…)

“Flip Side”. The Peoplebusters are always crowd pleasers.

“The Brooklyn Triangle”–Neat story with some spotlight for Winston, and the introduction of his father, Ed Zeddemore (recently “reestablished” in the comics)

“Janine, You’ve Changed”–Not just a good post-Syndication episode, but one of the best episodes of the entire series. Oh, look, JMS wrote it, no wonder.

(Really, just about any of JMS’s episodes, even the ones after he quit as Story Editor, are generally among the more watchable–“Live From Al Capone’s Tomb”, “The Halloween Door”, “Russian About”, “The Haunting of Heck House”)

Erf…I couldn’t stomach even the JMS episodes from the later seasons. By that time, the network executives had changed so much and he wasn’t given as much freedom, and it shows. Things are more forced and cardboard.

I DID however like “Janine You’ve Changed”. It’s like JMS forced his way back to how the show SHOULD have been. I appreciated that. :slight_smile:

:cool:

That was definitely the first episode that came to my mind, with the exact same asterisk.

As far as Im concerned it is downright awesome. I know Im in the minority on this one but the junior GB’s didnt bother me much (I mean they only appeared in 2 episodes of the main series)

Anyways..

The Boogeyman is back

Halloween II 1/2 - Samhain’s always awesome and in my opinion he’s scarier in this episode.

Robobuster - Great idea, great bit of character development for Egon and Janine oh and awesome climax against the megaspook.

Follow that Hearse - Im a sucker for message stories plus who dosent want to see a possessed Ecto-1

The Brooklyn Triangle - Seriously Richard Mueller (and Micheal Reaves for that matter) should be considered the unsung heroes of RGB after JMS left, they consistently turned in great episodes and this is one of them. The collector is a great villian and the bits with Winston and his Dad wre great.

Short Stuff - Nurgot was a spooky foe and while Im not crazy about the Ghostmaster this was definetly a fun story.

If I were a witch man - Dont ask me why but i really like this one for some reason.

Janine you’ve Changed - Fwew what an episode.

Russian About - My slavic fetish shows. Plus references to the old ones.

The Haunting of Heck House - This has probably one of the best endings in RGB history plus its a nifty take on “Hell House” and “The Haunting”

GhostWorld - I love Egon giving the demon a “reason you suck speech”

My Left fang - A goofier episode but I love the concept of a vampire ghost feeding on other ghosts. I hope the IDW guys redo this with a darker edge.

Here is my list:

The Grundel: A very scary episode with a great villain and top notch animation. Defiantly a great episode to close out season 3 with.

Halloween 2 and 1/2: Great to see Sam Haine return again.

Flip Side: Just like the" Mirror, Mirror" episode of Star Trek, the concept of an alternate version of New York populated by ghosts and having a team of ghosts who capture humans is neat one.

Standing Room Only: A funny and entertaining story with Peter taking center stage. Also Meekrah is great concept for a villain.

Robo -Buster: Love that Egon and Janine’s relationship is highlighted even if it is briefly.,along with the Ghostbusters having a rival in the ghost catching business. Also the battle at the end with the Mega Spook is one of my favorites of the series.

The Brooklyn Triangle: Great to see Winston’s character get more development. Also The Collector was an interesting antagonist.

Follow that Hearse: I have always enjoyed stories with an environmental message in them. Also the concept of Ecto 1 getting possessed along with a different ending than the usual “trap and contain the ghost” helps to stand out.

The Halloween Door: Love the animation, the music and that JMS is poking fun of the parents groups that forced the changes to the show in the story.

Something is Going Around: Dr. Macathder is pretty tricky foe and I really enjoyed the big battle at the Fire House during the climax.

Janine You’ve Changed: Nice to see that Egon does care about Janine and once again JMS gets to poke fun at the parents group via his writing:

The Haunting of Heck House: Great concept and I liked how the Ghostbusters solved the problem since they could not use their Proton Packs or Traps.

Russian About: Really enjoyed seeing the Ghostbusters leave New York for a change and fighting “the Old One” who I feel is one of the better villains of the post season 2 era.

Treasure of the Sierra Tamale: Great to see Peter’s father again along with having another story not taking place in NYC. Also I liked how writer Richard Mueller used a creature from Mayan folklore as the villain.

Also the episode “Future Tense” from season 5 is pretty good too. I watched it again recently and I liked how Richard Mueller used elementals in the story. Also I got quite a chuckle out of the jokes this episode.

I forgot about Standing Room only and Future Tense.

I’m trying to watch all the episodes at least once, but I’m ready to tap out six episodes into season 3, I don’t know how I’m gonna make it to season 7.

This might be kind of a guilty pleasure episode, but I actually liked Poultrygeist. Yeah, a werechicken is pretty dorky, overall I think both the story and the animation were pretty good in this episode.

Actually I’m in agreement about Poultrygeist. I mean if you really look at it, it’s an exciting episode. Starts off with a real creepy set up and even though it is a Were-“Chicken” It looks pretty scary, especially when the wife transforms and gets right in the husbands face. That right there is serious nightmare fuel. Then when the guys are called Ray and Winston are trying to track the thing down around this barn where the creature can be anywhere, and they track it into this barn and the eerie music score raising the tension until the thing finally tries to ambush them. While that’s happening Peter has brought the giant egg to the firehouse so Egon can take a look at it. Then in one of Slimer’s stupider moves winds up making the egg hatch with a baby were chicken, again even though it’s small it looks really creepy. Then it bites Egon in his lab turning him into a monster, then Peter has to come face to face with it. This is Headquarters, it’s supposed to be safe. I always loved it when Headquarters got breached, I always found those episodes real exciting. :slight_smile: Then the episode ends with a giant monster fight in the Middle of the city, we get some Ecto 2 action and we get a satisfying climax.

I don’t think there is anything “Guilty” about enjoying this episode it is pretty well written. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Good Choice. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I agree with most of the things already said, but I gotta add “The Copycat” to the list. It’s rather like the Polymorph episode of old Red Dwarf. It’s got great moments such as it copying Janine who then flirts outrageously with Egon. Also Egon chasing a brain and spinal cord around. And the Copycat actually turning into a proton stream bouncing around the place.

Elementary My Dear Winston isn’t bad. Not actually good, but it would fit fine along any of the season 2 episodes.

Spacebusters is OK. It is a “Winston episode” and there weren’t enough of those. Also, a billion times better than the awful space episode back in season 2. This one was actually done somewhat seriously rather than just being an excuse for spoofing Star Trek.