i saw this in a thread about 6 months ago, but can’t find it now, go figure. anyhow, whats the easiest wood filler? i have used elmers in the past, but it’s a bit to paste-y for me. someone mentioned another brand that was a much smoother consistency. any suggestions?
i used elmers on mine, check my profile for pics, the best part about elemers is it is water based, I often added a little bit of water to mine to make it easier to spread, it still dries fine just makes it easier to handle ( not so pasty )
Elmers is great. It sets pretty quickly and sands great without cracking. Takes paint well also
The original poster said he used Elmers in the past but he wants to use something else.
Zar. You can get it at True Value. I tried everything from minwax, to mod podge, to bondo, and Zar is by far the best.
Zar has a consitency not unlike that of peanut butter. It sticks to the wood when you apply it, it goes on smooth, it dries fast, but not too fast, it doesn’t have nasty fumes, it washes off easily if you get it on your hands, and it’s easy to sand.
Bondo requires you to mix two parts, dries too fast, is too thick, and has nasty chemical odors. Minwax goes on rough, doesn’t adhere well, and dries hard as a rock so it’s hard to sand. Mod podge is too runny, takes too long to dry, and is also hard to sand.
Get Zar.
thats the stuff i was remembering, thanks a bunch Ghostguy!
I’ve about given up on wood filler. Seems like every brand I buy acts like wall plaster and flakes off or washes away when it gets wet.
Are you applying it to WOOD? ![]()
Did you paint it?
Admittedly, I haven’t gotten my pack wet, but I’m pretty sure a little rain isn’t gonna penetrate three coats of paint and primer to get to the wood filler. And I haven’t had any issues with flaking with any of the wood fillers I applied.
If the surface you’re trying to apply the wood filler to flexes a lot, yeah, it might flake off. Wood filler isn’t too flexible. Mod podge seems like your best bet in that case. Mod pdge is flexible and rubbery when dry.
Another vote here for elmers. it seems fluffy and “whipped”, but it dries rock solid, and can be drilled, carved and sanded.
I just used some to fill the hex holed in the ends of the bolts on our goggles (to make them look less like screws), painted them silver, andf they look fine.