This idea has been passed around for awhile & recently resurfaced on SourceFedNERD’s review of the second international trailer for the new film ( https://youtu.be/mrgUzxt2rIo the 16:30 mark) It begs the question that, if you support GB16’s theatrical run, are you unknowingly giving Hollywood fuel for its “reboot-itis”; a pass to create more (poorly thought out) reboots/rehashings? Think Michael Bay’s Transformers franchise. Many often complain of the films’ lack of character development & that they are nothing more than big budget explosion parties, but because the past films have proven to be lucrative, they continue to make more [directionally] that are in the same vein as the previous ones.
Could this trend happen to Ghostbusters? Say the newer audiences, despite the overwhelming downvotes for the trailers, see the movie & though many remain at odds with Paul Feig’s vision (money talks!) & that becomes the new standard for all future GB-related content? Will it become generationally divisive?
If we go see it, we contribute to the “hey, they love reboots!” culture, but on the flip side the classic Ghostbusters will get more love in addition to the reboot team.
If we don’t, we can say “hey, we’ve had our fill of reboots, we’re staying away until we see more original stuff!”, but then it leads to a reduced possibility Sony will take a chance on making any more Ghostbusters items.
Does seeing the movie automatically put people in the “Hey, we love reboots!” group or can it just mean support for Ghostbusters in general? What if by seeing the new movie, people are encouraged to see the originals, the cartoons and the comics? There has to be something positive to come out of all of this.
There is always something positive to be found. I know smug, trite phrases like “it’s quite sad really” are practically a requirement on the Internet, but that’s only one side of life.
Sony will twist and interpret the results any way they see fit, no matter what those results are. If the movie takes in less than expected, they will blame everyone and everything except the movie itself. You can already see this seed being planted. I don’t think Sony is self-aware enough to realize where their mistakes are. However, if the movie does well, they will use that to validate… whatever it is they want to validate. They’ll be emboldened to continue to make completely puzzling decisions regarding their movie properties.
It’s also not purely about box office. A lot of comedies don’t do amazing numbers, yet are generally fondly remembered in pop culture. It’s not a science, no point in treating it as such.
THIS! Personally, as I’ve said before, I think that no matter what the results at the box office are (good OR bad), all we will hear about is the 4 female ghostbusters, not anything about it being a “reboot.”
The problem I have with this line of thinking, people already have decided the movie is bad because it’s a reboot, and how Sony will react to this before we are 100% sure it will happen this way. You can like or hate the trailer, it can still go either way depending on the movie.
Now, the trailer is an appetiser, and if this meant you dread the whole meal there is nothing wrong with you for going back to the restaurant you know and love and maybe write a bad review. I just tend to go for the dessert before I make my decision, but easy for me to say: I liked the appetiser well enough to stay in my seat for the next surprise.
Of course, anyone is free to go see it or not if that’s how they feel about a new GB movie.
Sticking your head in the sand does not mean others are wrong in seeing it, of course, and nor are you if the originals are all you need.
Now, will the success of this movie trigger more content from the original timeline, or will it only expand the new universe? In the Empire magazine, they mentioned the success will cascade into more shows, movies and animations. Ivan is looking to connect all the dots, but of course they would say that in order to sell you a ticket.
The main question is, what will they do if it fails? Just postpone all the new ideas. Will they start again over 5 years with a movie in the old timeline or continue this one regardless but with a different franchise? Will the time be right then or will Marvel have fatigued us all by then, if not already?
I’ve decided not to see this based on everything I’ve seen from the beginning and after watching all the trailers, not because it’s a reboot. I’m not ranting and raving about the film (I feel no need to), I’m not sticking my head in the sand, I simply have not liked what I have seen and have enough information to make an educated guess that this film is not my cup of tea. I don’t care if it generates new merchandise or not. I am not so materialistic that I need new Ghostbusters stuff to feel whole. Yeah it’s cool that Diamond decided to make new figs, but my life would have still been just fine if they had never been made.
Anyone shaming others for their choice not to see a film, any film, has way too much time on their hands. Why do you even care what others do with their time? Nobody was giving me ■■■■ for not wanting to Ninja Turtles, Fright Night, or Total Recall. But Ghostbusters? For some reason this is a problem for people.
What people decide to do with their time is their choice and so long as they’re not killing folk it’s none of your business. If you want to see the movie, then go see it, if you don’t want to see the movie then don’t. You don’t need to justify your reasons to anyone. And you certainly don’t need to harp on others for their choices to see or not see a movie.
The media have been quick to point out that the people who dislike the new movie are a minority so I’m pretty sure the film will do well…unfortunately.
Without a doubt, paying to see this movie (or not) will send a message to Sony. If the movie does well, personally, I think the message that Sony will receive is not: “Let’s take Ghostbusters in other directions.” It will be: “Let’s make a sequel with the same director/writer and cast. …and lots and LOTS of CGI. Can’t forget the CGI.”
For me, this is the bottom of the barrel. No reboot that Hollywood could possibly make at this point will be more disappointing because Ghostbusters was my favorite fandom. :sigh:
How can those people be the minority, when everyone I talked to since the reboot was announced disliked the idea? They all wanted to see GB3, but when I told them that the new movie will be a reboot they were all like “■■■■ it, I’m not going to watch that shit!”
And those were not ■■■■■■■■ GB fans! I’m talking about average people outside of the fandom who just liked the old movies.
The fans here and on the german forum are more like “Let’s first see if it is good or bad before we damn it.” But most of us also dislike that it’s a reboot. As far as I know, nobody likes reboots, at least nobody I’ve ever met!