Clippard Valve from a "D" Battery

I know this is an odd place to start my posting but it was one of the first things I have finished on my pack so far.

While I was waiting on some glued up parts to dry I started looking around for things to use for the Clippard Valves. I used Stefan’s plans for the measurements.

After measuring everything in my house I found that D size batteries are nearly the exact size of the valve body. peel the label off and you have a nice silver valve body.

image

And a travel mouth wash lid works great for the knob.

image

image

Make sure the battery is dead if you plan to do this yourself. I took apart the battery so I could drill the top. This picture actually shows after I have added and glue the fitting in place.

image

Wrapped electrical tape around three times to give it more of the look of the real thing. And added the label. I printed the label on transparency film with the image reversed in Photoshop so when glued on the toner is on the back of the label. I also sprayed some silver spray paint on the back.

image

Here is the final product. I think it looks pretty good. I am not happy with the base and will probably remake them out of real wood (I used glued up MDF for my first one)

image

Holy crap! That’s fantastic! Mind if I use this idea to make my own jrl2222 style clippard valves?

I wouldn’t have posted a how to if I didn’t want people to know how to. Feel free to copy and/or improve!

You rock. Thanks, dude! I was going to use the ol’ bottle of white out for mine but not any more!

I had bought a couple bottles of white out from the dollar store here but after measuring I found that they aren’t even close to the correct dimensions. At least not the ones I bought. The D battery is almost dead on the measurements from Stefan’s plans and as a bonus they are real metal with no painting. Just make sure to hook something up like a light or motor and let it run until the battery is completely dead. Even after doing this I got a couple small spark while pulling apart the bottom. The bottom of the ones I used have a round plate on the bottom with the main body folded over it. That’s why the bottom looks so mashed up. I used a screw driver and needle nose pliers to open up the bottom. Once you get it open their will be a center core with some gray paste inside a cardboard tube. I think it is acidic so wear eye protection and gloves. I used a screw driver and it just kind of plopped (for lack of a better word) out.

Also after I just looked up some info it looks like not all labels come of so easy and not all batteries are made the same inside.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll be careful. How’s the rest of your build coming along? Looks like you’re using a type of foam? Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your progress.

For the most part I am using what I already have which may seem like a bad idea but I have a lot of parts and pieces from other builds, my sons Borg Halloween costume from last year for one, that will work perfect. I am using foam and wood and metal and what ever happens to be the right dimensions. I am going to order a few parts but I am trying to stay low budget with a “looks like the real thing from a few feet away” concept. I have about a month before the local Comic-Con that my son and I are going to. I also have to build a few “easy” props for his Attack on Titan costume. So we will see how things go and I will be sure to post progress pictures as I go along.

Watching!

Yeah, DO NOT disassemble a NiCad (Hazardous), NiMH, or ANY kind of Lithium battery (Can be explosive upon air contact). I’d go for a “dead” Alkaline or Zinc/Carbon Battery to disassemble. Just my 2 cents as I currently work in the industry.

Or, you know? Resin copies are pretty cheap. Just a heads up.

Good points, all. I’m not planning on taking apart the battery tho. Just strip the label off and glue the cap on the end. I’m far too lazy for anything else. As for the resin clippards, I dropped the ball on ordering them & there’s no way they’d get to me in time for Halloween.

I am not trying to dissuade anyone from using resin copies or the real thing or any other thing. I am just showing how I made mine for free.

And they look great. Im just worried about people breaking open batteries, you know?

I guess I should have put a disclaimer on that post. Wish I could edit that post now. Is it possible for a mod/admin (what ever they are here) to add a disclaimer to “Use caution if you attempt this as batteries can be dangerous.”