I’ve seen some people say the GB films are purely Comedy and are not straight-up Horror and don’t belong being categorized as Horror films. However I definitely disagree and feel the films are very much Horror-Comedies; they have a Horror-rooted premise that also happens to intersperse plenty of humor into the proceedings. I always considered them a Horror/Comedy/Sci-Fi fusion. The Horror aspects with the ghosts, paranormal, etc. are obvious as is the comedy, and the Science Fiction aspects come from the technology like the Proton Packs. As a kid and even now as an adult this is one of the things that most appeals to me about GB in general, that seamless fusion of these three different genres. Horror is the genre that primarily got me into movies as a kid and the first two GB films were an enormous part of what got me into Horror in the first place. It always surprises me when I see some people saying they’re strictly Comedies and aren’t Horror when I think it’s quite clear they’re a hybridization of both (and an excellent one at that). For me they’re the very epitome of Horror-Comedies, having a Horror-oriented premise that also happens to be funny and packs equal amounts of laughs and scares.
I’ve never thought of the GB films as horror. Maybe 1 I could see.
GB2 and especially ATC…hell no.
What you have just said is the statement that sums up why Ghostbusters is so special. There was that perfect blend of Horror/Sci Fi/Comedy. Part of the reason the film did so well is because nothing like it had ever been seen. The term lightning in a bottle gets used a lot when describing how this movie came to be.
![]()
@ referring to bold
I definitely have to agree on this; that’s the core of what Ghostbusters is about. ![]()
When I was a child I swore blind to my parents that it was a musical because it had songs. I maybe changed my mind on that but I haven’t ever seen it as a comedy. To a kid, Stay Puft is scary as hell. Slimer doesn’t do anything funny at all. Most of the cast play it straight.
Horror is too strong a word though so I’ll go with “Supernatural Spectacular.”
![]()
Well, there is a song and dance number in “2” even if it does end in “HE-MAN!” chants from unruly 5 year olds!