First suit is a go!

So, as promised over in the introductions, I’m swinging by here to show the progress on my first uniform. This has all come together in the last month, and lead up to suiting up for the first time with Ghostbusters ATX at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, to greet folks that were coming in to see the re-release of the original film on Ghostbusters Day.

My journey to this suit started on May 8th, so that only gave me a month to get as much as I could together for my very first event. So, I had to dive right in and get working.

I started with a Tru-Spec flight suit, in an XL Long, as I’m just about six feet tall, and with a little extra padding around the middle, so I wanted to be sure I’d have room to move and not run into any binding issues in the crotch, or issues with it being too tight around the middle. Turns out, it’s just a touch tight in the middle, as is the belt, but that should be taken care of with a little bit of weight loss that’s coming up. Badge and nametape were sourced from the amazing Katarra8 on Etsy, and sewn on myself by hand. That was not something I look forward to having to do again if I end up upgrading to a Nomex suit in the future, but I can say that I got it done and it looks fine.

Belt, elbow pads, and gloves were all picked up through Amazon, since I needed to get them as quickly as possible. I decided to wait on trying to get the leg hose and connector before this event, as I wasn’t confident I could get it all shipped out in time. I also picked up a Motorola MT-500 off of Ebay, but it arrived a day after the event. I’ve got a shorty antenna on the way for it, and looking into options for a holster, probably through the for sale section here.

Anyways - enough rambling from me, it’s time for pictures! Here’s the first shot of me suited up pre-event.

Don’t mind the sour expression - there was something confusing going on in the background there. Next step for me is to keep getting parts, get the leg hose and connector sorted out. A proton pack build is in the future, though at this point I’m focusing on a PKE Meter and trap as I feel those will be a bit easier projects to tackle and build confidence before the big build.

Now I’m back to having a month to get my suit Mk.1 up to the next level, as we’ve already got plans to be back out at the Alamo Drafthouse for the 2016 film release.