I don’t think there are many people out there who would love to see a “Directors Cut” of Ghostbusters more than me, but a decent fan cut would be most welcome in lieu of that… however…
Of the material that’s out there it would still be difficult to pull off a decent edit in my opinion, and a comprehensive re-assembly certainly would be:
Additional footage from the Hotel Sedgewick is missing - an examination of the honeymooners suite was supposed to have been shot. But the scene of the honeymooners could still be inserted after Peter visits Dana’s apartment… you’ll just be missing the intended follow up before they search the hotel corridors.
The montage sequence would need a heavy re-cut because of re-instating the Fort Detmerring scene later in the film.
A lot of the intended montage sequences were not filmed due to time constraints, but for me the obvious replacement for Ray’s dream would be the Ectomobile ticketing scene - but still presented as a dream. Unfortunately, a portion of the sequence as shot is missing from the new blu ray release, so it’s too short.
The shots of the Ghostbusters leaving the hotel in the theatrical cut are part of a longer sequence, which again has yet to surface, if this footage can be found you could pad out the montage with this no doubt.
Fort Detmerring - exchanges with the guard who lets them into the fort are still missing, as is footage of Ray trying on the officers uniform before he gets on the bed.
Louis and the muggers - the footage on the blu ray is poor quality and sadly the effects sequences to go with it were never made by EEG / Boss. I’m not sure, personally speaking, how I’d feel with digital effects put in as all the effects throughout the film were optical.
Myself, I wouldn’t want to see any of the alternate takes put in (Dana’s apartment, Winston’s job interview, top of 55 Central Park West etc.) - I think the best takes of those scenes are already in the film.
I wouldn’t include the bums scene for the very reasons it was cut - it’s too jarring. While Dan is almost unrecognisable, the other ■■■ clearly is Bill and it just makes the scene really odd within the context of an actual cut of the film. On it’s own it is really amusing… I just don’t see a way of saving it where you don’t go “why is Venkman dressed as a ■■■?”
Has anyone ever formally asked Ivan or Danny if a directors cut has ever been seriously considered?