Ghosts from our Past

This arrived from Amazon a few days ago and it’s a hoot! I am halfway through. Not only does it add backstory on the pasts of the two Ghostbusters (and humor in the style of ATC), but it also contains a lot of real history on the scientific study of the paranormal. The book is much better than what I expected and I’m really enjoying reading it.

Highly recommended by me. Even if you didn’t like the movie you will probably like this book.

Thanks for the recommendation :)!

Hardcover? I didn’t know they had hardcover. Where did you find it?

edit Oops, got excited and realized you said Amazon. I totally missed out on that!

It’s not an awful read. The tech and classification stuff is pretty cool.

I liked that Erin and Abby posed like Simon and Garfunkel in one of the photos, lol.

Yeah, I’ve found it a fun read. They even threw in a few little Easter eggs to the classic franchise; like this bit from the article on Harry Price on page 80:

[spoiler]

“You are a poor scientist, Mister Price”[/spoiler]

And of course I simply adore that the Kemp ghost classifications system is pretty much straight out of the GBI role playing game, a system that is still very popular in fan circles

The book is highly enjoyable although the writing style in places reads more like a teenager’s blog than an article of study by two incredibly intellectual women. Still, it’s fun, silly, and a nice tie in to the movie.

Tbh the science nerd in my was expecting something a little more in depth, which is why the ‘voice’ and generally layout of the book probably threw me at first. They probably didn’t need the Ghostbusters logo on every chapter as it lost some of the magic of being an in-universe item. Instead it kinda felt like I was being constantly reminded that it was merely a piece of merchandise.

It probably couldn’t have been too technical as one, it might require more work to sound semi-realistic, and two, it’d have to be mass marketable.

You are absolutely correct. I got so excited about the premise of the book that at the time I forgot about its intended purpose :stuck_out_tongue:

Just got it in the mail last saturday, have read only the foreword by Martin Heiss (thanks God he´s not dead!), looks promising. Gotta read it on its enterity these days.

Ghostbusters Wiki did a interview with Andrew Shaffer that can be read here: http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Interview_with_Andrew_Shaffer

image

It goes in to detail and explains the book and it’s take on the timeline. Note that there are errors in the book, which Andrew says will be fixed on the next edition of the book.

Great find! Will we finally get closure if Bill Murray’s character is dead or not…?

It does come up in the interview.

As I told ozzy on the Ectozone, very informative. It might not surprise anyone that I was one of the people who caught the fact that the timelines as written didn’t quite add up right. :lol:

Just read it. Loved the background information. Some nice questions and some great answers. And I still don’t know…

Shaffer talked to me on Twitter. :smiley: