Gold resistor Matty Trap mod

I liked the Matty trap as it was but then I saw this http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28201 and made all of the mods as detialed in his thread. Having bought a resistor from here as well I finally said screw it gave it a shot on my own. It’s surprisingly simple to do as well.

I started by dremeling all around the edges just to see what I was dealing with and just like other parts of the trap its hollow and taking the “face” off the stock plastic resistor is easy.

image

image

Once you dremel the face off and go through those, I guess you call them supporting pillars, in the middle you’re left with this.

image

And wouldn’t you know it the rest of it isn’t attached at all so just pick it up!

image

Dremel down those remaining pillars, cut off the ends of 2 M4-7 x10mm socket cap screws (thats what I used at least and they fit like a glove) and goop/locktight it on, and let it sit overnight. I used rubberbands to keep it in place and place pressure on it but im sure therer are better more effetive ways of attaching the resistor and screws.

image

image

And there you have. A gold resistor on your Matty Trap!

hey guys,

i have the trap now too and i want to change the resistor too :slight_smile:

are i am right, you only glue the resistor in?

do someone know if its possiple and how its possiple to remove the silver “aluminium”-sides?

Thanks and best regardd

Erik

That’s what he says he did here - to make sure you could drill some small indents in the back of the reistor and the side of the trap to increase the area for the glue to grab to. Also, be sure to use something like 2 part epoxy for maximum strength.

And no, you can’t remove the silver sides. In that last picture can you see the thin outline around the side wall? That whole side is one piece (the silver is moulded into the black) and that border shows where the side is separate from the rest of the trap. It’s also hollow behind the panel and held in place with plastic ‘rivets’, so it’s impossible to remove without destroying parts of the trap (trust me, i’ve tried!).