How I used pack Sound & Light control with a Matty wand

By combing this site and asking friends lots of questions, and getting technical help from friends, I was able to run both sound and light control from the Matty wand into the pack! Eventually I will do a proper wand, Ive decided- but this works great for now.

Here’s my newly finished pack:

Light control was relatively easy- I used the Spongeface kit available here: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=39448

It plugs into the 1/8" jack at the base of the wand and the cable (1/8" stereo audio cable) runs through the loom into the pack. I had to buy a 10 pin connector cable to hook up the Matty adaptor to the GB Soundboard jack on the lights board, that was it. Since the lights were already getting power I didn’t need to power them separately.

I’ll post in a moment about how I wired the sound- but first, here’s the video of it in action.

Here are a few other photos of the process- Bob's Pack Build - Album on Imgur

A very helpful thread here told me how to get the Matty wand body case open: MattyCollector Neutrino Wand Mods? - #91 by PssdffJay - Proton Packs - GBFans.com

That thread also told me what to buy at Home Depot to connect my wand to the host- for like $1!

Sound on the MOBO:

Reflectors from a flashlight for the cyclotron, painted red. The cyclotron lenses will be clear in case i swap out for RGB lights.

Speaker mount on the MOBO. I covered this with a harddrive style metal grating to protect the cone.

Opening the wand: Step one. pop off the rubber end cap on the handle. I used a tiny screwdriver and slowly worked it between the glue and rubber, breaking the cap free gently.

Step two: Open all the screws and crap Lowberg IDs and describes here:http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=4787692#p4787692

Step three:

Cut the cap where the green hose goes, cuz you gotta. We went with the seam using a dremel.

Opening it… CRACK! F!!

Soldered the leads directly to the speaker leads, which is basically right in the lid there. The idea was to keep the speaker on the wand itsefl working as well.

The speaker

At work. Note how we threaded the 1/8" cable through the handle. we worked it through then drilled a hole in the underneath of the handle near the bottom of the gun.

With working 1/8" audio jack! NOTE!! ONLY USE A STRAIGHT JACK! Ones like this (look on the chair) will not fit through the loom! I had to splice it, it was a terrible stupid mistake! It worked though.

The audio does not interfere with the lights signal jack. I just drilled a hole in teh handle under the jack for my own wire, and prayed I wouldnt hit anything. I was lucky!

The green hose fit right back in and even held tight when I joined the wand back together. I will fill the crack with something, not sure what yet

Here you can see the little “pass though” from the body of the gun, where the speaker is, to the handle, for the audio wire. It looks pretty slick and I dont think its noticeable. It was the easiest way to run the wire to the base of the wand, i think.

So basically you ran a cable from the speaker leads to an amp in your pack. Right? Any info on the amp you used?

Maybe someone can work out a 3d printed cap for the rear cylinder to cover where it has to be cut.

Greats pics! Thanks for posting them!

Yes that’s the gist! Nothing complex. The amp is a shure with 30 watts per side. I bought it from a friend but will try to get a link.

Funny, my buddy and I have created just the thing :wink:

1 Like

One important thing to mention- I had to (or my electrically experience cohort had to) insert a potentiometer (ie a volume knob) between the wand and the amp, so there is a little dial on the bottom of the MOBO that controls the incoming volume of the wand, and which I can easily reach while wearing the pack. It seemed very necessary and now I am very glad I did that- I can control it in the house or at a con vs a parade or something.

Here are images of the wiring of the Potentiometer, the charging jack and the power switch.

Due to the Spongeface controller being engaged, the power switch doesnt “power up” but it turns on the amp and the battery connection. So, probably a good idea to power down with the switch so as to not run out of charge.

From the back (L to R): Charging jack, volume for the wand, master power

Inside pack view of the same

And the speaker with protective cover:

Huge thanks to Fincher and Son for their formidable assistance with this!

Nice! I was just thinking “crap! I took out the data control jack when I did the sound on mine!! Can’t use the spongeface kit!!!”

Glad someone came up with a way to do both :slight_smile:

Thanks man! Your original post was huge is showing me how to open the gun, thanks for that!

this is freaking awesome!!!

I’m going to reference this in my build! :slight_smile: Are you noticing any kind of sound delay between your wand and pack?

Nope. I do need to Integrate a mixer of some kind which will allow music through the Bluetooth dongle to play while effects are also engaged.

Key things are to use a pot with the wand input line so you can have differing volumes in say a house vs in a parade. The wand out is pretty loud!

Glad you dig this. I didn’t invent anything new, but since I hadn’t seen anyone show how to do both, I thought folks might be interested.to see how the wires ran.

Another thing is that my speaker placement effects the correct placement of the large danger sticker on the back of the mobo.. I decided I cared more about the best spot for the speaker than I did the sticker being in the exact center.