Info for LA Firehouse?

Hey, not sure if anyone here may know… but does anyone have contact information for Daniel Taylor, the caretaker of LA23?

I may be headed to LA in a couple months, and if I could arrange a walkthrough of that property with him, I’d obviously love to do that.

Last I heard it was now owned by the city and being renovated to be turned into a children’s museum of some sort. The Daniel Taylor guy isn’t who you would want to get in touch with. From what I have been told, you would want to get in touch with a Todd Hessick. Send me a PM and I can give you his contact.

At least as of Fall/Winter of this past year, the city has deemed the building off-limits for visitors or filming. We tried to get the Cleanin’ Up the Town crew in there end of last year and FilmLA won’t even allow location scouts in the building anymore. Wish I knew more.

A real shame to hear, Troy, but thanks for trying, as that would’ve been awesome. :slight_smile:

If memory serves some photographs cropped up recently (read within the last couple of years) via the Los Angeles Historical Society, lent to a relatively recent article on the Firehouse, as the article writer wasn’t able to visit it in person due to the work being undertaken on the building.

Yup, echoing 910dohead it’s being renovated for use as a youths arts centre or at least was as of mid last year (I personally think that’s a great idea)

Here’s hoping… that neighborhood could really use it (and for it to actually happen this time).

EDIT: FYI - LocoScout - Los Angeles City Fire Station 23

So, I just got back from my California trip, and I managed to at least do a drive-by of the old firehouse.

Here’s what she looks like, right now:

Also, this is what I was told by the contact I was able to get in touch with:

“The fs is not available for viewing as it is part of a housing project and abatement process. Sorry for inconveniences. You are welcome to walk by it.”

Thanks for posting! The condition of the building is unfortunate, but the art is pretty fun!

Asbestos removal would explain the “unsafe” warnings we’d previously heard, though I wonder just where the asbestos was located in old '23.

More than likely in the pipe insulation and floor tile. Those are pretty much the most common places.