Hey guys…some of you may remember my ‘Parkbusters’ tee shirt (GB / South Park mashup) that was sold on Teefury this past June. Just wanted to let you all know I have a new GB print coming up next week on NoWhere Bad. This is an older design of mine, but one I’ve always really liked, so I’m psyched it’s finally seeing print!
What kind of deal does NoWhere Bad give artists? I have a big problem with a lot of these “T-Shirt of the Day” websites because, quite frankly, they take advantage of the artists, which are their life blood. If this site is anything like the others, they create this aura that talented semi-pro and even pro artists should be honored just to have their art featured when the site make a crap-ton of money (especially since they don’t pay the artists and don’t pay for licensing and royalties).
I bring this up because I’m a professional illustrator and designer who works for a t-shirt company (we’re in Kohls, Walmart, Target, Hot Topic, etc.) and I work with licensed bands and sports teams all day long and I know how much money is involved with even tiny runs of shirts. I just hate seeing talented designers like yourself getting ripped off.
Not trying to put a damper on your thread … I actually love your design and find it very clever and professional. I just hope you got more than a few shirts out of it for compensation, although I understand the allure of just wanting to do it to get it out there for the love of it. I’ve done plenty of that back in the day before I just had to draw the line over companies and websites making all the money off of my art.
They call me Duck - That’s a legit question, and I understand your concern. In general, daily tee shirt sites pay artists $1 or more for each shirt that is sold. Because NoWhere Bad is a much smaller site, they will run shirts for 3.5 days and pay artists $1.50 for each shirt sold. This sort of info is nothing confidential and is readily available on most daily tee shirt sites. From the standpoint of a freelance artist, this is usually a pretty good deal depending on the popularity of any given website and / or the popularity of any given tee design being sold. Most of us who do this professionally don’t just design tees alone…our work is also available in other formats and many folks do other freelance work on the side, or even have day jobs. So although it may appear like the artists are sometimes getting ripped off, more often that not, I would say that actually isn’t the case. The more popular your work is in this industry, the more likely you are to get printed on the bigger sites, hence the more money you make when you have a sale. So there’s a bit of give and take…with a site like NoWhere Bad, most tee designers like myself realize that the sales numbers are going to be on the lower side, but that’s just part of being a freelancer. It’s really the same difference as doing any freelance work - the scope of a project and what the client can afford to spend is going to determine how much money you make…so the point is to have as many projects in the works as you can handle at any given time…and it’s definitely the same way for tee shirt designers.
I would also say that most daily tee sites are typically pretty good to their artists, although there are a couple of sites out there that are a bit shady and have a reputation for not treating their artists as well. But the general consensus in the tee shirt design community is that the pay is comparatively fair in most cases, and the benefits from the exposure is something you really can’t put a value on. I’m sure there are definitely struggling artists out there that are thrilled just to get printed regardless of how much money they make, but for those of us who do this full time (and there’s a lot of us), there’s definitely a strategy to promoting yourself and making a living doing this. Obviously, the daily tee sites are going to make a lot more off your designs than you do, but I think it’s like that in almost any line of work…if you work for someone else, you get paid X amount for the work you do, but your bosses / the company itself makes far more off of your work. There are also a number of tee artists in the field that actually print and manufacture all their own work, so those folks make a very good profit from their own designs.
I’m very fortunate to be a member of several online tee shirt artist groups, and I am in regular contact with the majority of well known tee shirt designers out there. I know people who have been doing this a long time and have been very successful, and I’ve honestly never once heard anyone complain about the compensation being unfair. So although I can definitely appreciate your concerns, I do think that the folks doing this kind of work (myself included) don’t feel like we’re being taken advantage of and that we are being fairly compensated in most cases.
Hope that helps clear up the questions you had! :^)