New guy, New goggles.

So, I’ve tried my hand at making some ecto-goggles and I gotta say, for a first attempt I think they turned out pretty nice. Bear in mind that these were very cheap to make, and hardly meant to be screen accurate in any way. More like my take on some custom built goggles.

The following pics are all my work in progress pics, uploaded from my phone:

The start of the project, using regular safety goggles, PVC fittings and some other random stuff

gluing on the fittings and the knob

masked off and spraying

it’s like watching paint dry… Oh wait… it IS watching paint dry…

Painted with more fittings added

closer up on the silver fitting, also showing the bolt I put in the side.

Added a toggle switch to the top, just thought it looked cool.

Trying them on for the first time… I can see through them, but not very well.

Finally, with them resting on my head.

I’ve since added the third strap (finally found out why that was needed) but have no pics of that.

So, good? Bad? … Ugly? I leave that up to you.

  • Sam

Pretty darn clever mate.

nice thing about Ectogoggles is you can use lots of different materials and get similar results. And, people don;t seem to be as nitpicky with them since they are an accessory. I threw a pair together in 2 hrs. : )

What type and brand of paint did you use? Did it dry well and adhere to the plastic of the safety goggles well?

They make plastic bonding spray paint now so you could use that.

I like 'em! I built some goggles for Halloween last year and put a toggle switch on mine for my LEDs.

Check out my Ectogoggles thread in my sig if you want to take a look.