Our 1st Proton packs done in a week and a half (pics)

Ok, so when my friend Tom suggested we do Ghostbusters this year I thought “yeah, that would be awesome!”. Then I found out how involved building your own pack was. Ironically, I was the “doubting Thomas” and Tom still believed we could get it done… with only a week and a half until Halloween.

Well anyway, we put our best efforts into it and had some pretty decent packs by Halloween. We spent many nights up until 2 am and on Monday we worked straight through the night until 2pm on Halloween. At that point we decided we’d better get in to work with what we had or we’d miss the contest. There are still a few details missing that we plan on finishing off at our own lesiure now.

By the way, we took 2nd place in our work’s Halloween contest and probably would have won had they not split us into seperate votes.

Here’s some pics. I’m sorry to say that after the 2nd day we were too frenzied with our work to bother finding the camera and keep up with the progress pictures.

1st Day (Tom’s Pack):

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1020117.jpg)

1st Day (Tyler’s Pack):

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1020118.jpg)

2nd Day (Tom’s Pack):

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1020119.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1020120.jpg)

Tom’s Finished Pack:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1020154.jpg)

Just a quick comment about Tom’s lights; he did the lights himself by going to the local electronics supply and buying a couple Velleman kits that had like 8 red LEDs in them that flashed in sequence. He then bought some blue LEDs and some new resistors to replace the existing ones in the kits. I’m pretty sure he spent less than $40 on his lights total, so I just wanted to point out to others that it can be done on a budget if you are resourceful.

Tom posing for our work’s Halloween contest:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_GB1.jpg)

Tyler’s finished (well sorta finished) pack:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1010150.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1010156.jpg)

I had Exoray’s light kit in my pack. I just want to take a moment to praise Exoray on his awesome work. I ordered the pack and gun kits from him on the 17th (before we started building), and I was hoping, but not really expecting, to get them on time. Imagine my surprise when they came the next week. Exoray, you are the man!

Tyler’s thrower up close:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1010155.jpg)

Can I just say that it is a major PITA to make a thrower out of wood that is not only durable, but can fit all the electronics. Had I started a few months early I would definitely have made a resin shell for the gunbox.

Once again, Exoray’s lights in the gun were really cool. I got lots of compliments on it. I’m also rather proud of the grips which I made myself by cutting up a gumout bottle to make a mold and then use bondo (something I’d never used before). I then coated them with plastidip to give them a rubbery feel. Kudos to whomever had suggested that method here in the forums.

Oh, and can I just rant for a moment on how flipping hard it is to find a clear tube that is 1" in diameter? After looking at several places we finally found a tube at Wal-Mart in the fish section. We used the thing that you clean out the fish tanks with which happens to have a foot long plastic tube that is exactly 1 inch in diameter. Hopefully someone else can use info to save some time.

Tyler posing for the Halloween Contest:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_GB2.jpg)

Inside Tyler’s Cyclotron:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1010158.jpg)

I just wanted to point out how I got sound into my pack for pretty cheap. I put a hinge and roller latch on my spacer and cake pan. That way I have easy access to the inside by just unscrewing the bumper and then popping the cyclotron open. Anyway, I put most of my electronics inside the spacer (battery packs, portable speakers, battery powered amplifier, and pack lights circuit board) The speakers and amplifier I bought at radio shack for pretty cheap. I then drilled a hole for the connector to the amplifier and glued it in and then put a wooden brace behind the plug.

I can easily reach back and plug my audio cable from my MP3 player (a Diamond Rio I almost sold at a yard sale for $15 bucks) into the spacer while wearing my pack. The Diamond Rio is old, but hey, it works for cheap sound. I put the sound effects from hprops.com on it and then I loaded the rest of it up with the Ghostbusters soundtrack.

Gun Hooks:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1010159.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1010160.jpg)

Another problem we ran into was figuring out what to do for gun hooks since we didn’t really have time to order any. We couldn’t find any of the suggested alternatives that we liked, so while walking around Home Depot we came up with using the metal braces/ties that are used for framing I think. We found one piece that worked great if you just hammer/bend down 3 sides and we found a long flat piece that slides into it just perfectly. Tom can even manage to reach back and re-hook his gun after taking it off.

More posing pics:

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1010147.jpg)

![image](http://www.gbfans.com/images/pb/tkeith75/GB Proton Packs 2006_P1020152.jpg)

Anyway, we had great fun. Thanks to all those who have put up plans and made suggestions on various components. We’re now just going to take our time on finishing them. Right now we have a huge list of honey-do’s to get to first since our wives put up with us working on the packs so much the past couple weeks (I swear there were times I was really worried we were going to get skinned alive and if looks could kill then I’d have about 50 daggers in me from the looks my wife has given me).

We had great fun though, and the kids loved it. It was really fun to go around with the kids this year. Almost everyone commented on the pack and most people would ask where I got it and were surprised to hear that I made it. It’s just really cool to look at that pack and say “Yeah, I made it”.

That only took a week and a half?! :shock:

nice. my parents were going to help me make mine in the timespan of a week, but then my college had homecoming and one of their friend’s funreal in the same weekend, so we couldnt even start. but t least we have lots of time to put it together. but I like you guys’ packs! how much were the blue LEDs ur friend got at the local electronics store?

That’s cool! :slight_smile:

a week and a half?!?!? that is freakin amazing. my hats off and a pint is raised to you both

If my memory serves me correctly, they were $1.75 each.

Can I ask which Velleman kit he got, I went to their site and there is a huge list :slight_smile:

Thanks

who is exoray?

He used the Velleman LED Running Light kit (MK107). Be aware that the red LEDs run on a lower voltage than blue LEDs, so if you get blue LEDs to replace them then you will also need proper resistors as well since the ones in the kit bring the voltage down to the level needed for the red LEDs.

He’s another user that used to sell his light kits under the For Sale/Wanted section prior to AJ recently locking that up. I really can’t say more due to the restrictions in place about discussing such things right now. You’ll probably just have to wait until AJ gets his new system in place for selling/buying.

He used the Velleman LED Running Light kit (MK107). Be aware that the red LEDs run on a lower voltage than blue LEDs, so if you get blue LEDs to replace them then you will also need proper resistors as well since the ones in the kit bring the voltage down to the level needed for the red LEDs.

Danke! :slight_smile:

great packs..especially for the time take to build them. ur pix help me alot since i been havin trouble with mine, but it should be done within another week. i hope it looks half as good as yours :smiley: