I picked up 2 Rowenta brand dress steamers model DA55 for $1.00 each at a local thrift store. They have the right basic size and shape to be a perfect PKE alternative once the brushes are unclipped.
It leaves a trigger on the back side and large recessed square on the “front” which can be filled with a piece of smoke painted plastic or lexan, paint the whole thing black, glue on a knob or 2, and BAM…instant belt candy.

I’ll get some better pics when I get home from work.
I got them took apart over the weekend (very easy, just 2 screws) and sanded and painted. I used Plastidip for the main pieces (white) and satin black krylon for the gray pieces. Came out looking great with textured look and feel.
Going to try to rig some flashing LEDs to push buttons if I can find something to scavenge from.
Then I will put a piece of smoked acrylic/lexan over the large square indention so the leds shine through.
Pics to come.
I know it’s simple, but it was also cheaper than a 20oz Coke.
It hangs on a belt fob perfectly so you can hold it up to “scan” then let it drop when you spot a “ghost”. Lightweight, sleek, and again…cost me $1, I had the scraps to complete it.
cool, but would be better with “wings”
The case is hollow. Keeping my budget mindset I think it would be fairly simple to go back and add wings. The ridge that runs down the grip is hollow rubber made to house the electric cord…so I can run a rod with a slider on it inside that tube.
This will allow the user to raise and lower the wings mechanically with his/her thumb by sliding the rod in/out of the main housing.
Right now I’m just glad to have another cheap piece of belt candy in time for Halloween. I also plan to go back and put some leds behind the lens too.
One cannot argue the quality of this given its cost. Good find, nice usage.
thanks guys, hopefully in the near future I have time to finish them