Proton Blaster 9000 (Self Contained Proton Weapon) (pic heav

Ghostbusters Research and Development Team would like to announce the newest weapon in a paranormal eliminators arsenal:

The Proton Blaster 9000

*The World’s First Self Contained Hand Held Proton Weapon *

Based off of the original proton pack design by Dr. Egon Spengler, the Proton Blaster 9000 does not require the standard backpack unit that fans and “Busters” have come to expect from their proton arsenal. Instead the Proton Blaster 9000 relies on a high intensity nuclear powered battery unit (The small green piece located near the trigger). While these new battery units do not carry the standard Proton Pack energy cell half life of 5000 years, these batteries will last a respectable 2500 years. The designer, Dr. Christopher Taydus, head of Towson University’s new Parapsychology and Ecto Containment department, is quoted as saying, “A new age of spectral study and containment is upon us and the Proton Blaster 9000 is proof of that.”

Dr. Spengler could not be reached for comment at the time of this press release, but his colleague Dr. Peter Venkman questioned Taydus’s claims, “Who is he to say that he’s ushering in the new age of proton weaponry. We started this field and I’m pretty sure we hold some kind of copyright on Proton Weaponry.”

While some may question the Proton Blasters abilities and legality, no one can deny that the list of features included with the Proton Blaster 9000 is impressive:

  • Lightweight- weighing in at 8.5 pounds
  • Two output options- Standard beam and Proton net blast
  • Scope for long distance ghost hunting (optional)
  • Minimal radiation output
  • Approved by the GB R&D safety inpsectors
  • Two Battery packs with 2500 year half life and approximately 12 hours of busting time with only a 6 hour cool down time for each battery cell after the full twelve hours.

Field tests for the Proton Blaster 9000 will commence on October 31.


Ok in all seriousness, the Proton Blaster 9000 is built out of a re-painted Nerf Long Shot combined with one of Exoray’s proton pack lighting kits. The plan is that I am creating a new GB division called the GB: SWAT. It’s mainly who the Ghosbusters: International franchises call when they’ve got a particularly bad baddie on their hands.

Here’s a short gif image to show what the lights do exactly and some closer photos:

The lights in action. Most ghostheads should be able to figure out that the blue power bar was originally the proton pack energy cell bar and the “exhaust” lights are sped up cyclotron lights.

The original Nerf design was that this was a sniper rifle (it has another gun that mounts on the front, and I am in the process of converting that too.

The back of the rifle has adjustable length for sniping or standard use.

The power is located right on top above the power bar.

A closer look at the lights on the front

The ‘exhaust’ lights actually shine out the barrel which was a happy mistake.

Their is an extra “battery,” but due to the control chip, the one that’s in the gun has been cut down and this one won’t fit, but their is a holster for it in the back of the gun where I will keep it.

And finally me with said gun, for a size comparison

The Nerf portion of the gun is no longer functional, but I’m very happy with the final product here.

Let me know what you guys think. If you don’t like something, please be specific because I really want some ghost heads’ input. My only request is that I don’t get any comments critiquing the fact that this isn’t like the real neutino wand. That was the point. The only thing I really wonder is did I go too far off of original Ghostbusters or is this simply a different view of proton weaponry? Thanks for all input ahead of time.

Chris

Wow! That is really cool! That is one cool happy mistake with the exhaust light. One thing that I would do it it were mine would be repaint the blue handle and trigger, but that is only if I had it. Again that is really cool. Great job! I want one now…haha

The paint that covers the rest of the gun has kind of a sticky texture, so I am working on finding a new style of paint to use on the handle so I’m not covered in black every time I grab it.

I forgot to mention that I’m not quite done with this. I want to add some things, so it’s not “just painted”

Thank you so much for the support though!

Chris

That…is extremely creative!! Well done! The lights make it! I am amazed at the versatility of the Nerf Longshot! It has been made into sooooo many cool weapons!

To paint it, I use Krylon Fusion Camo Black. It’s forumulated for plastic and works great. There is no problem of paint not drying and being sticky. Gives it a nice “parkerized” finish.

As far as suggestions…what I did was sand off any logos, fill the screw holes w/ putty and sand them smooth. Makes a big difference.

If your paint is still sticky, it won’t ever dry. Ever.

Could you transfer the light kit to another Longshot after it’s painted w/ Krylon Fusion?

What’s nice about the fusion paint, it also acts as a primer. A buddy of mine made a Terminator 2 Resistance Soldier weapon. He used the krylon, then painted the upper portion silver. Really looks sharp.

You’ll be able to paint the handle and grip it with no problem with any paint coming off. Mine’s lasted over a year done this way.

I’m not so sure about the orange tip either bro. It screams **“TOY!” ** at me… perhaps silver? Or black and add a clear tube, mimicking the original.

Also, it’s very cool, maybe some hoses added to it, again to mimick the original more. Perhaps a long hose from the handle connected to a belt mounted box with lights, gauges, etc?

-Rex

I cut up a Nerf firefly (The flashing one with the glow in the dark darts) to have a light when I pull the trigger, but due to space constrictions (and the fact that I’ve electrocuted myself at least twice with the flash rig) that might be out. Plus I can’t figure out how to mock up the flash trigger to the Longshot’s trigger

Concerning paint, the paint it actually Krylon Fusion, but mine’s texturized (I didn’t want the gloss or flat black). I think the texture might be what’s causing it. The two legs (and my Ecto goggles) use Rustoleum Plastic Paint. Same general concept, but from Rustoleum. Seems to be no stickyness there, but it is a glossier black, so I may try that. I will check out the stuff you mentioned though.

As for your suggestions, I actually painted the gun long before I took it apart to install the lights. Paint wouldn’t make getting the lights out harder, but filling the screw holes would.

As for the orange tip, because of the color I painted the gun and it’s closer realism to a real machine gun than a replica neutrino wand, I think I’ll leave it orange. I may try that clear tube idea though. That might connect it a little better to a real proton pack.

I also like the additions ideas you had. I just bought the tubing for my flight suit, so I have some extra I might use, but my power tools situation is a little lacking, so that may have to wait a little.

Thanks again!

Chris

Creative man. Reminds me of the zootfly weapons!

Ghosts would be shaking in their boots!

holy shit that is sweet. great job!!! for this, you deserve a :crunch: … you’ve earned it

neat idea! does it have an option to be “plugged in” to a regular pack?

My compliments to you on this! Very nicely done. While I will always hold a place in my heart for the original props, I love seeing new and original ideas. Kinda makes me want to tear through the hardware stores just seeing what kinds of Ghostbuster type stuff I can whip up from the various parts available nowadays.

Hey Chris,

Hmmm, it may very well be because of the textured feature in the paint that you’re having probs with it. I do alot of Aliens/ Colonial Marine trooping, and alot of us have painted the Longshot w/ the Fusion Camo Black and not had any problems. Gotta be that darn texturing feature!

I kinda figured that was the reason you had left the gun tip orange. I was trying to think what you could do to keep the orange and make it even cooler, the tubing may help, and perhaps a translucent orange tube, so the barrel lights may make a cool effect with it. Places like http://www.tapplastics.com are a good source.

I was trying to think of an inexpensive box you might be able to mount on your belt and connect a tube to it. What about a rubbermaid type food container box? Several different sizes out there, get one of those blinking pumpkin lights at the Dollar Store. Paint the box up, drill a few holes, attach the pumpkin light, snap the lid on, you may need to run some black electrical tape around the edges to hold it on securely, glue 2’" black elastic on to it to make a strap to slide it onto your belt. Hmmm, gotta attach the tube…Wait! Sprinkler pvc pipe reducers! Saw some at Home Depot yesterday! Drill a hold in the side of the box, glue the small end inside, fit the tube in the larger end. Same way to your pistol handle…

Whatcha think?

-Rex

Thank you all for your kindness. It is greatly appreciated.

Just to answer a few questions

I just purchased a proton pack mother board, so I will be looking to fashion a true-to-movie proton pack to attach the proton blaster to until I can build a true-to-movie neutrino wand.

Rex, I checked out the website you gave me, no translucent orange tubing though, but I’m going to check elsewhere and if all else fails I’m going to try what someone else suggested to the the orange tip with a clear extender to make it more neutrino wand like.

As for the side pack, construction has begun on a side pack. I had some spare container such as the ones you described from the Dollar Store Proton Pack I was building and I am working on it as we speak.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!!!

(Yes I know caps means to yell, and usually angrily, but it a celebratory, appreciative yell)

Chris

If you plan to bring it in public, please make sure the orange tip stays there. We wouldn’t want any police bullets ruining that great suit!

now that’s a kick ass idea. well done

How’d I miss that?! Sweet!

Oh, and there’s no Clippard on it?? :cool: