R2 builder turned Ghost Buster!

Hey guys, I’ve met a lot of you already at various cons and events, and I’ve been invited by many of you to come check out the site, and I’m finally here!

I’m finally putting the finishing touches on my R2 and getting ready to move on to ghost busting.

I love building things and everything I build I usually end up building for my less handy friends as well, lol!

Anyone coming to megacon in orlando florida please stop by the R2 builders booth and say high, I would love to see your costume and get some ideas!

-Austin

Welcome!

Welcome and nice R2 unit ya got there!

Thanks guys!

 A fellow R2 builder I know has a vac formed proton pack shell and a laser cut back board he is willing to part with, any ideas on these? a good start perhaps?

Welcome! If I had an actual garage, an R2 unit would be my next endeavor. Me=Jealous!

It all depends on what you are looking to do. Based on your droid I’m guessing you will want as accurate as possible. If so, you might find a vac formed shell to be too ‘soft’ both in detail and sturdiness. That said, I have seen some come out well.

Check out THIS thread over at the proton pack section and scroll down to “vaccform shells”

Cool I checked that link, Of course I saw the metal shells too :wink: that’s pretty much the rout I took on R2. But for the pack I’m looking to go a bit cheeper, as R2 cost me more than my car did new of the lot. The fiberglass pulls look good, but it seems they are unavailable at the moment, which is fine for the now as I’m still the in planning stage, If they don’t come available, I could always reinforce the vac formed one with fiberglass and try to bring out the details with model making techniques.

Jfyi - This isn’t a hobby. It’s a habit. By the time you build your fourth pack you will be here on the boards waxing poetic about your first vacuum form pack and how you miss how very light it was… I know when I build pack #8 that it will be the last pack I ever build… EVER.

Until #9. That pack… That will be the last one. Yep. THAT ONE.

Oh don’t I know, I have a second R2 started, An all metal DL-44(Han-Blaster), a fully screen accurate Jumanji Board, and now it’s gonna be the proton pack! Yeeesh! But hey we love it don’t we!? Yes we do!

I think if I can find a fiberglass shell I will go with that, they look very nice, and a good medium as far as weight goes.

I would suggest the gbfans shell and motherboard. Jmho. :sunglasses:

Yeeeah… you’re gonna go with a fiberglass shell. :wink:

It seems that every major vendor is either out of major parts or out of commission (hopefully temporarily). I’ve personally been waiting on some major parts since the beginning of November. So, be patient and wait on the proper parts to come available and make it ‘right’ as opposed to ‘fast’. Might not be a bad idea to subscribe to the sale thread to be notified when someone posts. I’ve been able to grab some harder to find items quicker that way.

Yeah, that’s pretty much how it goes with R2 building too, hang out n the junk yard all day every day, and you can get pretty much what ever you need.

Plus the R2 took me a year and a half, which is considered FAST by R2 standards. So I understand what being patient is :wink:

I’m always so crazy jealous of you R2 guys. I’ll happily trade you all of my GB knowledge for your droid wisdom, sir.

Of course I’m willing to help anyone with an R2 build. I’ve had guys drive down from as far as North Carolina for R2 help, I do it for the love of it, and never ask for anything in return. So if you wanna get started, ask me anything :slight_smile:

So much of me wants to do it - I have a 501st/GB friend up here who has one, and I’m always in awe. I think building one would surpass my abilities (and checkbook), but maybe someday…

For what it’s worth I am in awe of you ghostbuster guys! The packs are beautiful, and plenty complex really. The R2 is not all that more complicated. just get a part here and there, it won’t seem to bad, or just play with your friends droid :wink: that’s the best of both worlds!

Nope!! Get out!! I don’t want to see any fancy Star Wars builds!! I’m going broke as it is over here trying to get my pack parts sorted. Then you go and show off an amazing R2 unit?! Definitely not! Get out now!

Just kidding. Well, not about the broke part. . .

Welcome to the habit! I’m anxiously waiting for your build thread, looks like you know what your doing so I’m going to steal… I mean… learn any tips and techniques I can. Hmm, gets me thinking. What would a Trooper looking with a proton pack, belt, and slightly modified armour with no ghost emblem and name look like? Might be an interesting crossover. A portable R2 trap unit perhaps?

Lol^

When a fiberglass shell comes available, I’ll grab one and start a build log.

P.S. I think there have been some trooper ghostbusters already. I thing they are mostly ghostbusters with a storm trooper helmet.

It actually goes together quite well.

It will be cool to see what an accomplished prop builder will bring to this community. Can’t wait to see what you turn out!

Thanks! I’ll try not to mess it up too bad :wink: