So I saw the tutorial on how to dye a suit but it was the Nomex brand. I have Rothco (aka yellow piss) and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on using he Nomex way for a Rothco suit. I’m asking because I bought pearl grey RIT and then realized that the tutorial was for Nomex. Plus the Nomex way seems easier. Anyone do pearl grey with Rothco?
This is the method I used:
Materials:
1 Khaki Rothco Flightsuit
2 Boxes of RIT Color Stripper
2 Boxes of RIT Pearl Gray dye
1 Bottle of RIT purple liquid dye.
Directions:
-
Set your washer for a large load and use the longest agitaion setting. In your washer mix up the 2 boxes color stripper as listed on the package. Add suit and let it agitate for the full time. Make sure to keep an eye on it as you’ll need to stop the washer before it goes to rinse. Let the suit sit in the stripper bath for about a 30 mins.
-
After 30 mins, start the washer again and let it run the full cycle.
-
Remove suit and reset washer. Again using the large load and longest agitation setting. Mix the 2 boxes of gray, 2 cups of salt and a cap full of the liquid purple( using the cap of the bottle) Don’t add detergent. Throw your suit in and let it agitate. Again stopping the washer before the rinse portion, reset the washer back to the top of the agitation cycle. this time add a half cap of purple.
-
Run a full cycle. Suit will come out a brownish purple when wet. Make sure to ring out the suit to avoid staining your dryer and set it for low heat dry or let it air dry.
-
Make sure to clean your washer by run another full cycle with bleach and detergent .
There you have it. If you need to dye your belt, throw it in during the first dye agitation then remove it before you reset for the second agitation.
Hope this works.
Here’s an example pic of the color (I’m in the middle)
