Sony Ghostbusters Twitter Viewing Party

FYI

The official Twitter account for the Ghostbusters DVD Viewing Party, taking place on Friday, May 13th at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT. For info:

http://twitter.com/#!/Ghostbustersdvd

I was just emailed this from You are receiving this email because you subscribed to the Sony Pictures Spotlight newsletter.

I…have no idea what a Twitter viewing party is.

Everybody watches the movie at the same time at home and twitters along with it. It’s a giant push to get Ghostbusters to trend on Twitter, which these days is the brass ring of PR initiatives.

Any other motivations to attempt such a thing aren’t apparent.

But, in keeping with the YouTube advertising for Sanctum of Slime, they put this together;

[golf clap]

Nice work Sony.

This whole thing came together in about two weeks - it’s really, really odd.

This just sounds completely pointless to me.

So we can all follow a Twitter feed of everyone typing in their favorite quotes as they happen or “LOL”?

It’s one thing to get together with a bunch of people to watch the movie, but this just seems silly.

And I didn’t even watch the “Slimer Invite” but I can tell from the screencap that its just embarrassingly bad.

Yeah, doesn’t make much sense to me either.

It makes sense, or at least I can kind of see the sense, from Sony’s side of things. They’re hoping to make Ghostbusters trend.

Now, ideally they’re not just doing it for fun, and that they’re doing it to accompany an announcement - GB2 on Blu-ray, GB3 script approved, Bill Murray to walk on the moon - but it was put together in just a short period of time, and in such a… slapdash?.. sort of way, that it seems pointless. Particularly as I think a lot of people will react like you guys, with a big shrug. And that’s before you even factor in that the West Coast will just barely be home from work, so there’s a serious loss of participants waiting to happen right there.

And the slimer video is bad. It’s no wonder it took me until today, when I got notice from the Sony newsletter, that it was actually an official event. So… very… wtf…

The slimer video reminds of a Conan skit… I dont have a twitter account but they might make announcement regarding gb2 like Chris said… So who knows

+1 who doesn’t even have a twitter account. and doesn’t follow it. It’s interesting that this is an official event because like some, I just don’t see much reasoning behind it. Also, I’m not saying I know of a better time to do it but…the middle of a Friday evening? (I get Friday the 13th kind of…) But whether you are getting off work or school or whatever, I would honestly think most people would rather do something else on a Friday evening than twitter with random people while watching Ghostbusters.

You see this? http://www.youtube.com/GhostbustersDVD#p/a/u/0/IsaQMcDFu_Y

Anyone signing up? Wasn’t sure what to make of it but my cousin told me it’s basically where everyone synchronizes their movie and hits play at the same time. He did one for Boondock Saints and said it was a good time. Maybe a good excuse to get out my caffeinated stay puft marshmallows. $25 well spent :slight_smile:

MOD EDIT: Merged into existing thread

I assume you didnt participate in the mass gbfans online viewing 1-2 years ago? same exact thing but the movie was streaming online and there were a bunch of people in the gbfans chatroom, watching and typing their favorite quotes and “LOL” when funny things happened.

That’s awesome!

I’m trying to get my friends to do this. Figure the more the merrier. What’s the best way to spread the word?

Eeeehh…

Not sold on it, but to those who are doing it, have fun.

I’ll do it.

OK, new to Twitter, but I’m now following @GhostbustersDVD

Just need to find my copy. Do I go Blu-Ray or classic DVD for this one?

No one cares what version you watch.

Watch whichever one you prefer. Its still the same movie.

LOL

So how did it go?

Pretty good, I’ll say. Beat the hell out of my feed, though. I wish I had some more friends to watch it with rather than just myself and a bunch of strangers. I haven’t watched it in a while, it was refreshing. C:

Well, I liked the experience…Waiting for the ghostbusters 2 day now…

And coming from sony it’s really strange but I thought was cool at the same time

We had a fun time.

I think @GBFans posted over 100 tweets with quotes, pictures and behind the scenes information.

Same here. I wish more of my friends had participated, but the #Ghostbusters feed was pretty fun. Your art was total win, BTW.

Thanks to you and to PC for participating. I loved the extras you guys provided, I learned quite a bit!

I had been planning to watch the movie soon anyway, so the Twitter thing was a nice excuse to finally do it. :stuck_out_tongue: