I started working on my pack in november. As of last night I was finally officially finished. I only had to charge my 12v battery and I was ready to go for the weekend. This morning in a span of about 60 seconds I crossed my wires and burned out both my pack lights and my sound kit. All that work, d-day cometh, and I discover Im an idiot.
Sorry dude.
My sympathies.
Oh man… gutted for you!
Sorry dude, that really does suck.
If it’s any consolation mburkit did the same thing last night…
..for the second time. :sigh:
I did the same thing last year with my proptronix gun lights, was lucky enough to get the replacement back on the 30th and throw them in. But I know that heavy sinking feeling, I am sorry for you mate. Have you tried contacting the maker? It’s more than likely a resistor has blown, if you can contact them, and are competent with soldering iron, you may be able to swap out the part.
while not a short, my friend’s pack was totally done on the 30th. we just had to wait for the gorilla glue to set. Being our first time using this stuff, we had no idea about it’s properties.
He comes down in the morning and… the pack was ruined. ALL the parts were shifted or twisted out of place. Needless to say, he wasn’t pleased. Last year we finally had a new pack built… and two days before Halloween, he breaks his knee. THIS year will be the first year he’ll be in full gear and healthy… we still have two days to go. Crap… I’m going to recommend he just locks himself in his room so nothing can happen >_<
Double fail!
Go for the voltage regulators those are the first thing to fry when wiring backwards.
Damn. I did the same thing and burned out the power regulator on my gun kit a month ago. Luckily R2DEVO is a damn genius and fixed it.
Atleast you have a pack though, I have everything but that.
I havent met the halloween dead line either, parts I am waiting on didnt arrive so pack is 95% and wand 90% finished, oh well most people wont know whats missing.
Sorry to hear about your electrics mate
How exactly are you guys accidentally shorting these kits out? …so that some of us may avoid this in the future?
I understand wiring something wrong could cause a short, but once it’s installed how are you managing to destroy it?
Mine was just being an idiot with the 9v connector and the 8AA battery holder.
Yeah it was a simple as wiring the positive and negative the wrong way which shorted out my board. Easily done
I dropped my wand today and broke some of the fins on the heat sink. I wasn’t going to weather my pack but I was kinda forced to after that. lol
Sucks man. I finished my sons pack last night and shipped it off to his school today. It came back with paint chips everwhere and broken off power cell ribs. Aparently one of the teachers helpers had knocked his pack over and it took a hard hit, enough to knock the batteries out of there holders and rip apart a soder joint.
Lucily i was able to repair everythng over a few hours tonight, but i definaly know that sinking feel. Think fast for a temp. solution. Hit radio shack for some leds and run em straight of a batt. They may not cycle and be animated, but they will draw attention non the less…
I only had two wires not connected. a power and a ground which go to the battery. Well I reached into my pack and grabbed the two bare wires. Unbeknownst to me, a soldered wire had come loose and I grabbed it by mistake, putting power on power and sound power on ground. Snap crackle pop, little smoke, I cried.