Uniform Question - Updating the look of certain accessories.

Hi All,

I am new to the forum and I am wondering what people’s opinions are of using non screen accurate accessories to make the overall uniform have a more updated look/feel. For instance; I ordered a tan cwu27 coverall (more authentic) and wanted to use a black pistol belt with clip buckle and black knee/elbow pads to match. I did this because I thought it’d look more modern and would contrast more than the original colors used. Also what are your thoughts on using a different design of knee pad than using the century style ones in the shop. Would people be like, “look at that guy, he got it all wrong.” or would it be like, “that looks pretty cool!” Lol.. Anyway I was thinking of using the costume for Halloween and maybe for cosplay in the future. Just wanted to know what people think.

Here are some pics of what I have ordered so far. I’ll be cutting off the excess elastic on the knee/elbow pads to make them about the same look and fit of the screen accurate ones.

You should be fine… For the most part, the community will not chastise you for taking some liberties with your uniform (there are even people who have different colored uniforms than the screen-used ones)… For the most part, if you are carrying the logo somewhere on your person, and presenting yourself in a way that carries the spirit of the franchise and of course, just being an overall decent human being, you should be good to go… Most franchises do not carry 501st-style regulations in regards to uniforms…

Are people actually like scared be creative with their uniforms to the point where they need to ask the community permission? I feel that this is a side-effect of all the reboot hate. I dunno. It was never like this before that mole-hill turned into a mountain. Anyway…

Just do what you want man, like I said in another topic I have a black flightsuit with a white belt and BIG ASS RED BOOTS. Who cares?

As long as you don’t try to make yourself look like a SWAT team member, it’s fine.

I don’t think it’s a side-effect from reboot hate, because people would ask this even before the reboot was announced… I think it’s because of the strict uniform/costume regulations of the 501st… newcomers just aren’t sure if we are the same…

I started my custom suit about 5 years ago and I got a bit of grief over it at first.

I decided to focus on screen accurate or at least canon gear first then add custom bits, and the reaction was very positive.

There will always be those in the costuming and prop community who think strict adherence to “screen accuracy” is superior to anything custom or different. Be it Ghostbusters or Star Wars or whatever, some just feel that meticulously reproducing exact detail takes more skill and thus demands more respect. That attitude has existed here for a long time and it’s just a part of it.

Personally, I think you should do whatever you want. Ignore the few haters that may pop up, maybe present your gear as an alternative or futuristic version and not as a superior version and feathers will go unruffled, toes will go unstepped and you’ll be fine.

Black belt with buckle is similar to what was worn in GBII, and the version you posted is a commonly used alternative. I don’t think black elbow pads will cause a big stir.

Thanks for the replies, it is greatly appreciated. I was a bit hesitant with mixing it up a bit, but now I feel more confident. I was thinking that I can always change out the accessories since they’re not permanently fastened to the suit. I’ll post some pics when I get the suit going. Thanks again, you people rock!

If anything there will be an in flux of reflective stips on some folks uniforms.

Basically the Key components are:

Coveralls (either flightsuit or coveralls) Khaki and dark gray are the movie colors but I’ve seen, Navy, OD, black, some with special trim colors, it doesn’t mater as long as the coverall component is there.

No Ghost/Nametag - pretty self explanatory

Belt - Basically its khaki or white dyed to light gray for light colored uniform or a black belt for dark colors however ive seen folks wear a khaki belt with a black uniform and a black belt with khaki. As long as you have a pistol belt with all the gizmos and fobs, youre good.

Elbow pads - basically as long as you have them you’re good. Gray is the movie color but some people wear black, hell some people will dye white ones to go with a custom color.

Boots - Black boots. Most people wear jump boots, some of my guys wear the “SWAT” style and one of our ladies wears knee high. as long as you have a black boot, it doesn’t matter.

Point is, as long as you have the basics covered and look like a ghostbuster, you’ll be one. There have been groups that have kind gone overboard with the interpretation and look like safari tour guides though.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I think I’m going to buy both iterations of accessories. What’s cool is that some minor non permanent tweaks and you can change the look from super authentic to a custom looking GB uniform..

I appreciate the time you all took with your responses. This is a great forum.

I have a the tan nomex coveralls with the black GB2 style belt and lifeguard II but I also have a GB1 belt gizmo and the Motorola radio from GB1. I like to think of my uniform as my personal GB Greatest Hits.

Knock yourself out man. Its your hobby and your money. Enjoy.

In the community there are different types of people, there are those who are all about “screen accuracy everything” and there are those who are all about “just so long as I’m recognized as a Ghostbuster” and there are even people in between them, but when it comes to you and your uniform I think the best advice is to go with whats comfortable and makes you happy.

I don’t know a lot of people who are “screen accuracy is everything” in regards to accepting people… I know people will judge themselves in that regards, but not many that will judge others on it…

Fortunately from what I’ve seen in my short time as a member of this community, this isn’t the 501st Legion. There is a great deal of flexibility in how you can portray yourself as a Ghostbuster, which is perfect since it’s not as if the original four were some kind of by-the-book military unit. It wouldn’t be right any other way. As long as you’re capturing the spirit of the franchise (pun very much intended) then it’s all good.

I never said there was a lot of them, and there haven’t been too many but in the last 4 years that I’ve been a member on the site there have been a couple of times where someone has ridiculed somebody else because they had incorperated something into their uniform build that wasn’t “screen accurate”, and I believe other members rallied behind the person being ridiculed and told the other people to “bugger off” more or less. But weather their numbers are big or small the “screen accuracy is everything” people are out there.

That’s unavoidable in any fan community involving cosplay. The sticklers will always be present.