Sounds like you know the Nomex suit pretty well. Do you know of a way to dye it?
Professional grade acid dyes and disperse dyes will do a much better job, but they are costly and highly toxic…
You can use regular RIT dye but it won’t work all that well, the Nomex will take the dye very slowly, on the flip side it’s cost effective and given time should yield results… RIT dye contains a small amount of acid dye this is the reason it will work to some degree but not real fast…
To help the RIT dye on Nomex add some vinegar or citric acid to the dye bath to increase the acidity and give the RIT dye a helping hand…
About 1/2 cup of vinegar to each gallon of water, should increase the effectiveness of RIT dye on Nomex…
So how’s the color on the suit?
Great, thanks for the info. If I pick up one in the future I’ll keep this in mind!
Unfortunately I haven’t had time (or much sun) to take a picture. Now that it’s the weekend I’ll take a picture of it outside to get a true color. I think it may be a tad too dark and a tad too purple. We’ll see soon.
I’d like to see completed pics of your godzilla suit…looks awesome!
BTW, disneyworld uses “cool packs” inside suits for the actor in them.. try some of those plastic freezable ice replacement things, and make some pockets for them to slide into.
Anything that can reduce the temp inside your suit will help.
Don’t listen to Garee. People have died using cold packs in suits like that. The cool packs used by Disney and other professionals are specially designed to keep the proper body temperature. Regular freezer packs get much colder than that.
Well, like anything else, you have to use common sense.
I used to work with the characters, and peeled quite a few out of suits at the point of passing out, even WITH the cold packs inside them. (Keep in mind, florida temps soar over 110 in summer sun, and inside a suit, you can last maybe 10 minutes in the sun without keeling over.)
With the bulk of his godzilla suit, you could easily store a number of frozen packs that aren’t even touching the skin, but would still be cooling the inside.
Best to read up on it some, before adding permanent inside cooling options though.
(And for the record, I’ve never heard of anyone at all dying from suit cooling, unless it’s an urban legend, or possibly someone with their own custom suit and cooling.)
I DO however recall a few heat stroke incidents…
And FWIW, the cold packs we had were just smaller one similar to what I’ve seen in smaller coolers n such. Basically, they were plastic pouches that slipped inside a padded pocket, so the pack was not against the skin, but had some padding between the pack and the wearer.
(Note this WAS about 10 years or so ago, and disney and others could have found alternate solutions by now, or refined the cooling methods.. they were just pioneering the tech back then.)
Well here’s the suit after it had been dyed and dried:
What do you all think?
As for the Godzilla suit and cooling: I have thought about making a ‘cool vest’ out of those flexible frozen pack and have purchased a bunch from Bed Bath and Beyond called Cryopaks. I bought them over two years ago but never made the vest. I guess I didn’t make it cause I only wear the suit maybe once a year at most, but I do have a pretty powerful exhaust fan in the head/mouth that pulls the warm air up and out. That helps a lot! If and when that one dies I’ll put in a reversible fan cause it’s nice to get cool air blown in sometimes as well. I have never been fond of wearing a cool vest, but placing some within pockets of the interior I would be more inclined to do.
Looks good to me. Much better than it was!
I mean you tell me which you think looks better; a suit which is khaki, or a suit which is more greyish/purplish…
Me, I think Mars’s suit looks the best by far. ![]()
Your suit turned out pretty dam good Max, you seemed to have struck it lucky first time around!
Well done :crunch:
I think the 2nd guy from the right has the best color suit (the other three look the same). Well, I’m not super happy with it so I’ll either give it another try soon or putt away for 11 months and try again.
Thanks for eveyone’s help!
Thats “Marsupial”, he’s wearing a Nomex suit, the rest are wearing Rothco so there you have a perfect comparison for colors.
Is his nomex suit dyed though I wonder?
Cause the Rothco ones clearly aren’t. But if I had to put money on it, I would guess his is.
i just bought a nomex suit in sand color (or desert tan) the color is (in darker light) really close to the GB1 grey … but i think id dye it anyway … im not sure if anybody already postet here how to dye a nomex suit … exoray allready posted some tips here … but couldnt found a step by step manual
