Okay, so I don’t post in here very often but I spent a good while searching for this answer in the forums with no real answer. I have seen people dye khaki and black flight suits to the charcoal color but no one has tried to go from navy to the charcoal or at least they didn’t post about it.
So my question is: how do you think is the best way to get there? Color remover then some grey dye? Bleach then black dye?
I would personally use 2 packets of color remover in very hot water (near boiling) and let it soak till the water begins to cool down (so about an hour). Rinse out real well and dry
Then tint the suit with black dye (maybe an equal part of denim would improve the look) with about 1/2 a cup of the liquid dye.
Did you dye it in the black/royal blue/kelly green all at the same time? Or did you do separate baths? I might do this as well. If its not too much trouble, maybe post your the process you did? Thanks Austin!
Glad you’ve posted this as I want to dye my navy tru spec too. Would you be able to post the details of the entire process please Austin? Your suit looks perfect!
Can you guys post pictures of your navy tru-specs? I have two: One is a deep blue, I’d call it navy, and the other I just bought from a surplus store looks like it doesn’t need any dying; it has the gray/blue-eyefuck thing going on already.
Actually, it was way worse before. I asked Jairus what he recommended to get the brown tint out and he said I could try adding a little green. It helped it quite a bit.
Mark be sure to post some pictures of your finished Ghostbusters 2 suit, be interesting to see how good it turns out because may dye mine maybe, im pleased with it at the moment without it being undyed thats why im in no rush to try to change it
Yeah no worries Mark no rush from me mate, just a quick question though i know you have already told me but have since forgotten did you dye your GB1 nomex or keep it as it was?? Just in some lights my nomex looks darker than it should be i know its all in the fabric & what the suits are made of & i know there has been many a disussion about this topic here
No worries Rich! My nomex is not dyed. They can’t be dyed properly because of the synthetic material. The GBUK Elite and Nick-a-tron dyed theirs but it only makes it a little darker and in daylight you can’t tell the difference.