Navy Tru-Spec to GB2 Charcoal

So everyone can see:

image

It is also missing the upper thigh pockets, like my other Tru-Spec.

Good luck with this- I can’t wait to see the results man!

Will be watching with extreme interest!

Well, I have started the process that Austin posted. I’ve used the 4 packs of color remover and my flight suit is in the wash. I’m going to do the bleach cycle then wash it once more before bed. Tomorrow, I shall start the dying.

Before I start… If you’re using a washing machine to do this, what’s the effect of using all these dyes? I dont want to ruin the inside of my machine.

I personally am heating the water on my stove and using the utility sink we have in the back to do all this stuff but I think if you use your washer, you should run the washer with detergent in it (and no clothing) after you dye something in it to clean it out. I’m not 100% sure on that though.

As for where I am so far, I have used the color remover and bleached my navy flight suit so far. I’m waiting for my water to heat up to do the black dye.

Here’s a picture of what it looks like after the bleach. Sorry for the crappy picture but my camera’s battery is dead so I used my phone.

You can see what color it used to be by looking at the velcro. I’ll be back when I have more done!

Look at that beautiful Khaki suit! DOES NOT GRAY

also . . .

HATS

Oh, the suit was definitely cardboard brown. My step dad also loves hats!

A fun little factoid. Sometime between last night when I used the color remover on the suit and today when I was using the black dye, our back sink sprung a leak! It was tons of fun moving all our crap away from it, trying to stop the leak and continue to agitate the suit all at once. Now my floor is purple and I need to find a new sink to do this in . . .

The saga continues!

Holy crap! I hope you sort that out quick and not permenantly stained the floor!

Hmmm I may have to find an alternative to my washer… it’s a risk I’m not willing to take!

Okay, all done dying my navy flight suit. First off, how I did it, which is very similar to how Austin did it:

  1. Wash

  2. 4 packs of Color Remover for 30 minutes

  3. Wash

  4. Wash again with a cup of bleach

  5. Wash

  6. Dye with half bottle of liquid black dye for 45 minutes

  7. Wash

  8. Dye with 2/3 pack of Royal Blue mixed with 1/3 pack of Kelly Green for 30 minutes

  9. Wash/dry

Now for pictures!

Flash:

No flash (and a little out of focus but you can still see the color):

I think it turned out well!

Awesome! Could you tell me or post links to what products you used so I can find something similar here in the UK?

I used all RIT dyes, here’s the links to each product of theirs I used.

I used 4 packs of RIT color remover.

A half bottle of RIT Liquid Black dye.

2/3 a pack of RIT Powder Royal Blue.

and 1/3 pack of RIT Powder Kelly Green.

Thanks! Just found it all on eBay as RIT don’t ship to here. Bit pricey though for the whole lot. I may have to think about putting this off until after the new year. :vinzclortho:

Beautiful!

Just an update for anyone that was watching this thread. I got my patches and stuff together, and here it is, all together!

Fits okay, the legs aren’t as baggy as on my Khaki flight suit. They are the same size though, the only difference is this one’s a regular and the khaki is a long. But whatever, i like how the color came out.

image

Good Job Matty. The GB2 Grey Army shall dominate PKE Surge 2010 :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, yesterday, I wore the thing through a freaking MONSOON! It along with all my other gear seemed to hold up. You know its bad when it doesn’t matter if you have an umbrella or not. The dye did run a little into my undershirt. So I guess this is mostly a warning to anyone that is stupid enough to wear their gear in heavy rain, that the dye might run just a tad.

wow matt, you wore your pack in the rain? all the electronics are ok? did you open it up to dry it out?

*Winston: Hey guys, we ever test the proton packs in the rain?

Egon: I guess that what Rookie’s doing right now

Ray: Hey! I’m wearing one too!

Egon: . . .That’s right Ray, you smell anything burning or notice any painful tingling?

Ray: You’ll be the first to know*

You can check out all the fun in the rain Here.