Navy Tru-Spec to GB2 Charcoal

I tried and tried this method and no hint of color removing. I ended up using 5 RIT color removers and 4 cups of bleach which didnt make a dent. Any suggestions before I cut my losses on my GBII flight suit?

Are you using hot water?

Here’s mine: http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18631

Yours looks great! Ya I’m using the hottest water that my water heater will go. Last night I dumped 3/4 of a bottle of bleach through and had no effect.

How are you doing it? Washing machine or bucket?

The dye shouldn’t run if you washed it in cold water after dyeing it. You do that to remove the excess dye.

Fantastic job! Now I know exactly which method I’m going to use to make my GB2 gray suit.

Thanks, should be getting my navy uniform in, this process will be very helpful :smiley:

So question - do you wash this in cold water or hot water when removing the colors, bleach, and dye.

I take it you wash the uniform at the very end in cold water when it’s all done.

Its been a while, but I want to say I washed it in cold water.

Well, I’ll give it a shot soon. I hope that the fact that I have one of Tru-Specs dark navy (which is close to black) will still use the same colors/instructions for the process.

Ok so its been a while since anyone posted anything in this thread, but im going to be starting my process this week of altering the colour of my navy Tru-spec… i have all the things ready for me to start this, just need to put some time aside to actually start

A couple of quick questions to the guys who have already done these charcoal suits

  1. how much of the gray RIT dye are you using, half a pack or the full pack

  2. how long are you leaving the suit to soak up the dye

Ordered a navy tru-spec yesterday, gonna give this a shot. We’ll see how it goes.

I’ll post pics when I give it a shot.

Alright, finally got around to taking pics of my navy to charcoal tru-spec. I had a little bit of screw up, but I was able to fix it and I think it came out pretty good.

Sorry for the bad pic, but you get the idea.

image

Good job!

man someone should stickie this, or it should be added to jairus’ thread on suit dyeing. i’m buying supplies today, we’ll see how it works!

I haven’t tried the navy suits to grey yet but there must be some potential issues with them…i have 5 black suits to be dyed grey that people would rather wait 3 months for backorders to process then take a suit with the navys as the base. I really need to give this a go and see what the deal is

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

The only real issue with dying a navy suit is that, once you arrive at charcoal grey, the velcro, stitching, and zipper tape are still a comparatively bright blue. Looks fine from a distance, but I’m not a fan of how it looks up close.

Starting with blue is a bit easier, but I think you just get a nicer, more accurate result starting with black.

That explains it for me then…thanks jarius

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

Wow this is great.. me and the wife was just looking for a “how to” for this

sent from my PKE meter

as promised:

So i bought a navy tru-spec suit. After seeing burkits results with a black suit, and after much groveling, begging and worshipping of The Jairus, here’s my conclusions:

i used:

4 packs color remover in one long, hot extended rinse wash

2 bleach hot washes

let it air dry

-this gave me a grey suit with a slight yellowish tint. this is where i started grovelling.

at the behest of the dye god, i loaded the sink with boiling water and used 2 tablespoons of royal blue dye with a tablespoon of purple, and a cup of salt, added in small doses every 5 minutes or so.

that, after a cold wash and a run through the dryer, gave me this:

no flash

image

with flash

image

what do you guys think?