First I want to start out with, I’m in no way able or want to recreate a screen accurate Ecomobile. I’m going for my personal 50/50 rule. (50ft away @ 50mph LOL) This is another project for my trio of rotating Halloween themes. I do Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and now Ghostbusters.
Once I purchased the white Subaru Outback, I knew it would eventually turn into an Ectomobile. I needed to build the roof rack in sections, so I can easily store it during the year. It also needs to be light enough so I can install and remove by myself. Also to note, this is my first build attempt and as others have mentioned, it will evolve. My goal was to build this in one month, making it ready to go by October 1st…
Still working on Directional Antenna, car mount for the hoses, heat sink type thing, and a ladder. My HVAC Unit isn’t great, but this close to October it’ll have to do. I picked up an RF transmitter/remote with 4 channels which will control the beacons and front strobes individually. This way I can activate both the sound and lights from inside the car or outside the car.(within range of course)
Thanks. The black rack itself has 4 brackets it came with, which will attach to the Outback roofrack bars. My Ectorack is in three pieces, which I’ll bolt together. I had assumed the sheer weight of it would be good enough to keep in in the black rack. However, I’ve read enough from fellow fans about racks coming apart, so now I’m leaning towards a couple hose clamps through the wood sides to the black rack itself. Even some beefy zipties might work.
Finished the Ecto-Outback today. Here’s some build pics…
As previously mentioned, I assembled it in sections, to allow for me to solo install. The roof rack was a Ebay score, which will be used through out the year as needed.
Here’s a few pictures from the fully assembled roof rack. Plus I purchased some red vinyl roll to make the strips down the sides and the 3 Ghostbusters “No Ghost” logo for the doors and windows.
I’ve really enjoyed the build. There’s a few things I omitted, like the ladder on the passenger side and the blue hoses on the driver side. I have those pieces, but it’s a daily driver so, I’m holding off till Halloween to install. It get’s parked in an area where there’s lots of kids, so I’d prefer not to have little kits tear off the hoses or try to climb the ladder. LOL
For all the hardcore fans, I know, I’m also missing the arrow pointing into the radar dish. But at this point, I’m going to enjoy the ride…
Finally a quick story. I took this for a quick shakedown drive to see what would fall off. LOL I, of course, intentionally drove it to a popular downtown area. Upon hitting the first stop sign, I was immediately swarmed by people with cameras out, snapping pictures.
Like more fans I love when people engage with the scenes we create. This scene is just mobile. I equally love when adults interact with my yard, it’s always fun. So I expected the adults to enjoy the the nostalgia of the car. What I didn’t expect was a 7yr old boy and father who wanted a picture with it. The boy said “HI” to me and then asked where my ghostbuster friends were. LOLOL. I quickly answered they were back at the Firehouse getting ready to go bust some ghosts. This seemed to satisfy him and the father nearly fell over laughing at the exchange.
Here’s my favorite daytime pic. It also includes my “Fire House” sign" in the foreground…
I have lights and sound videos. When I put it all together into a video I’ll post. Going to see if the local Fire Station will allow me the obvious use of their firehouse to shoot the iconic Ectomobile scene with the door rolling up… Enjoy!