EC70 TWO.......

Late last year, my trusty Honda Civic that I’d owned from new since 2007 was reaching end-of-life… or at least starting to cost me more to keep running than it was worth. I figured that, as I’d been using this car as a pseudo-van for quite some time with back seats folded flat, that maybe my next car should actually be a van.

I opted to purchase a Toyota Proace City because it had a few more bells & whistles compared to the other vans in the same family, like the Peugeot Partner, Vauxhall Combi and Citroen Berlingo.

With it being a white van, I had this idea, and thankfully my wife was on board, to turn it into a sort of working ghostbustery vehicle, something that might be utilised for support, etc. After sketching out some ideas, trying to keep the van aesthetic rather than explicitly making a pseudo-replica Ecto-1, I think I’m done…

Parked outside the Rowtons’ Museum of the Paranormal and Spirituality.

The rear of the van contains a mooglie (of course) off-centre with the name of my franchise and some contact details on the right door. Above my registration place EC70 TWO (which is genuine), there are stickers for “No ghouls left in this van overnight” which is a play on no tools left overnight, the “venting of vapor…” quite, which is used on the black Mercedes van in Frozen Empire, and then some novelty stickers on the right. The chrome lettering ECTO-2 is where it would normally have the name of the van model.

On the sides, another mooglie, “WHO YA GONNA CALL” without a ? because the font didn’t work with the vinyl cutter, but it’s fine, it’s more of a statement than a question, some warning stickers like off the FE van and a couple of the 1A statements.

The other side is broadly the same except without the hazard symbols, and instead, there is a Zeddemore logo on the fuel cap with green slime dripping out.

I think I’m done with the exterior look now. I did get off Amazon a replica ECTO-2 New York commercial plate, but I might just stick it in the corner of the windscreen rather than try to attach it somehow.

My wife tells me I should really make a roof rack now… maybe… lets see what the summer brings.

1 Like

Over the last 2 months I’ve been working on again/off again on a roof rack… of sorts. I am using mostly off the shelf and self made components.

The rack uses a standard steel extra-long roof rack. This is because my van has tri-bars instead of dual bars so couldn’t use a smaller rack unless it was placed at the front or back rather than being in the middle.

I used regular wood hand cut with a saw to make a sort of frame and painted it white. It is attached to the rack with jubilee clips around the edges. I used the same wood to make some mounting locations. It has no base so you can technically see up through it but I don’t think it really matters.

The yellow side tanks and green tube are made with plastic pipe from a local hardware store with 3d printed end caps that I designed myself to fit the specific pipe I was able to get. There are some cheap pressure gauges off amazon screwed into the ends on one side.

The sniffer is again various sized pipe and 3d printed parts and connectors. The top section unscrews from the main upright pipe to prevent it being yanked off in the wind while on main roads. It takes a minute or two to attach on arrival at an event.

The radome is also wood, pipe and a 3d printed dome cap. It bolts through a small cutout in the box frame and secures with two bolts. This comes off during transportation.

The satellite dish was just from a nearby house that they weren’t using anymore. It attaches using two bolts to a pole mount.

The heatsink was 3d printed.

The AC unit is an upturned crate that a frog was using as a pond. I bolted on the blade and cover from an old desk fan and a random circuit board I had in my box of scraps that I think came from a hifi unit. The grey tubing is washing machine waste pipe.

The blue light bar at the front is an ex-police light bar from the UK which is attached magnetically as it is not legal to drive on UK roads with it on, even if disconnected. The light bar at the back is just a small white one.

There are spaces for bluetooth speakers to be attached at the front and back.

Here are some pics and videos of it set up for a street carnival which took place the other weekend.

Things of note; those small blue lights at the top of the rack (and there are some magnetically attached at the back) are useless and completely drowned out by the light bar, I will be replacing these with some sort of replica/facsimile of the federal signal siren and propello ray lights instead.

Overall I’m very pleased by it. It’s not screen accurate… but then neither is the van it’s attached to.

1 Like