555-2368 - Who ARE we gonna call?

I am going through a decades-old Ghostbusters scrapbook that I just located again, and found a little note I’d tucked in there, of various places that I had seen ‘the Ghostbusters phone number’… 555-2368

I’m gonna try to do some framecaps, but for now here is the list in the order that I noticed them:

Ghostbusters

Howard the Duck

Ordinary People

When A Stranger Calls

AT&T commercial 1993

Far and Away

Rockford Files opening credits

I had to look up the title for When A Stranger Calls, as my note simply said “Carol Kane? movie with killer in house”… and while checking its imdb page, discovered that the same phone number also appears in Forever Young.

Some more possibilities found via online searches…

1965’s A Patch of Blue

the hotel room in Memento

Real Estate, Along Came Polly

Tony Baretta, Baretta

Guiler residence, Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Det. Sgt. Rick Hunter, Hunter

Hotel Phone, Jane Austen’s Mafia!

Kojak, Kojak

Jaime Sommers, The Bionic Woman

Seems to be pretty popular among TV detectives, huh?

Alex

P.S. Check out this website!

http://home.earthlink.net/~mthyen/2000.html

I’m gonna call 867-5309 instead.

JL5-2020

Heh, my thought exactly so I had to dig (Google Image Search) a bit.

I think JL5-2020 was the number on the Ecto-1a.

So why did they change their number? WHAT ARE THEY HIDING!?

they’re hiding winston’s mustache.

image

An excerpt from Wikipedia:

The full article is here.

Earlier this year I called the number of the cherry picker arm from the GB2 sign installation scene. It’s someone’s personal voicemail now.

They were out of business for a while, remember? Maybe they lost the old number during that time.

(Or the guys in the Columbia prop department making the decals for the ECTO-1A weren’t nerds enough to realize that a phone number had appeared in the first movie, and made up their own.)

If you use (407) you’ll get a plumbing company here..

Aw, come on… if you’re gonna go for that joke, couldn’t you at least keep things Aykroyd-centric?

634-5789, man! Blues Brothers 2000!

Alex

Wilson Pickett (originally written by Eddie Floyd and Steve Cropper) - cool tune! Johnny Lang hacked at it though mid-way through the song in Blues Brothers 2000. Sends shivers down my spine like nails on a chalkboard.

Didn’t they do a promotion for Ghostbusters 2 where you could the number and get a “special message” or something? I thought I read that somewhere (here actually)

Not for the sequel, that I recall, but for the first movie, yes.

"After the film was out and doing well – just to keep the phenomenon going – Ivan came up with the idea of taking a ‘junk-buy’ cross-country on late-night TV and running the commercial just as it appeared in the film, only with the superimposed phone number changed to an 800 number. Then people could call in and get an answering machine with Danny’s and Bill’s voices saying: ‘Hi, we’re the Ghostbusters. We’re not in right now – we’re out catching ghosts…’ Well, they did that, and they got a thousand calls per hour, 24-hours-a-day for six weeks. "

                                                                                                                           --executive producer Michael Gross

                                                                                            [quoted on p. 47 of Don Shay's <U><u>Making Ghostbusters</u></U>]

I remember hearing that story a couple of years later, around '86 or so, at leastways it was after I had taped the movie off cable. The guy telling it wasn’t the most truthful individual I’ve ever met, and he apparently was unaware they had changed 555-2368 to a non-fictitious number instead. Anyway, we tried calling 1-800-555-2368 and got the “the number you have dialed does not exist” recording from the operator, which only convinced us all further that Earl was a liar.

Many years later, when James Van Hise gave me a copy of Making Ghostbusters, I saw the little anecdote in the sidebar and thought, “I’ll be darned. Earl was telling the truth for once!”

I would LOVE for someone to dig up a recording of the message. That should’ve been on the DVD/Blu-Ray.

Alex

Strangely enough, there’s a plumbing company where I am that does the same thing. That’d be (317) though.

867-5309 is the number to GEM Plumbing and Heating here in Rhode Island. They have this quote from their website:

“Today, Gem Plumbing & Heating Company has over 300 employees over 165 trucks making it one of largest plumbing & heating companies in the United States. Gem continually strives to provide the best in customer service coupled with the most knowledgeable plumbers and service technicians in Rhode Island.”

I find it to be a strange coincidence that 867-5309 is the number to plumbing companies across the country. I wonder if they branched??

The one here in Indy calls itself Benjamin Franklin, but there has to be some connection, I’d think, if nothing other than one plumber did it first, and a bunch of others latched onto the idea. Sorta like how I once saw a lawyer ad from New York City that was exactly the same as one here, only with the badly dubbed in firm name being different.

Are you talking about the “tell them YOU MEAN BUSINESS!” ads? The ones with Robert Vaughan?? It’s “de Olivera & Morgan” over here.

I’ve always wanted to get my cell number changed to 555-2368.

Yeah, that one, and one I remember with a couple of guys from an insurance company lamenting…

Insurance Company Jerkbag #1: They have a big claim. Lots of injuries

Insurance Company Jerkbag #2: We’ll just lowball them an offer and they’ll be happy with the quick bucks.

Insurance Company Jerkbag #1: They got a laywer

Insurance Company Jerkbag #2: That doesn’t mean anything. Who’d they get?

(switch to a shot from behind Insurance Company Jerkbag #1 so we can’t see his mouth move)

Insurance Company Jerkbag #1: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe*

IInsurance Company Jerkbag #2: (sigh) This is gonna cost us a lot of money.

*–Replace with Jacobi and Meyers, Kenn Nunn, or whoever else is using the ad, with a clearly overdubbed voice.