AJs circuit....

Okay, I’ve checked everywhere on this site, tried a few others I could think of, hell I even googled it, but no luck. So, as much as I didn’t want to have to trouble you guys with this:

I remember when I first started coming to this site there was a circuit diagram that AJ Quick (and Commodore Starska if I remember) had dreamed up. It had the correct 12 (with the option to go up to 14) bulb powercell circuit and a four bulb cyclotron circuit combined. I think I also remember the powercell having variable speed, but not the cyclotron since the cyclotron always stayed pretty much constant throughout both films whereas the powercell speed was all over the place. Well, THAT is the diagram I need. Also, if someone could tell me what resistors I’d need to substitute to run LEDs in the powercell rather than bulbs. I still want bulbs in the cyclotron, since every time I’ve used LEDs in there it never looks bright enough. And before anyone asks, yes, I tried ultrabrite LEDs, but it still seemed too dim in comparison to the blindingly bright powercell. I think there was also a file for printing onto photo-etch paper so you could etch proffesional style PCBs. Well, that’s my plan. I know that Exoray does very good work, but I simply can’t afford to buy four of them. The etching will be done in college for nothing, and the LEDs I already have ( 100 blue for 8 quid- can’t go wrong!) So, can anyone help me out? AJ, surely you must have this in a backup file or something?

You need this…

Lawrence

Where the hell was that hiding?!? No seriously, cheers for that, that’s gonna help me out a lot!

Um, I was just wondering… On the page linked to above, Bug Stomper posted a link to a pdf file of a PCB design (I would put a link to it here now, but I have no idea how to) What I was wondering was, has anyone here made that particular circuit? I noticed a few people mentioning slight problems with the cyclotron not cycling properly. I just wanted to make sure this board design does NOT incorporate this feature. I can get a few boards printed up for nothing (or close to) but if it all goes pear-shaped I may not get another chance to do these boards without remortaging the house (please, no-one tell me everyone has three mortages these days! :slight_smile: ) so I gotta get this right first time. Well, let me know: do I proceed with this board?

In short the circuit does work, but there are things I would change…

As for the board files if you are using LEDs they will have to be modified, and you should incorporate some voltage regulation… So IMO the board files are a little outdated and should be upgraded before use…

I was thinking of running the LEDs from the board to the powercell housing on wires, and fitting a resistor on the positive line on each. Don’t know what rating to use yet, but would that do the trick?

I used the plans linked to in the top to build mine. I also made some changes (exoray, what were the changes you would make?)

I added a 4pdt switch to change direction of the cyclotron, converted the lights to LEDs (reduced it to 10, however to simplify design and to add the next feature), connected the 10 power cell lights to 10 lights on the gun.

I am modifying it more to add another 10 lights on the gun to change the pattern up some. right now it does the same as the power cell. when i am done it will have 20 LED lights that power up toward the center. think of 2 sets of power cells with one inverted 180 degrees.

I also redid the plans in expressPCB in the new version so people can buy that again. I also did a new parts list with exact part numbers (because radio shack no longer had all of those parts with the same part numbers).

I will be re-posting it soon on the boards and will update this thread as well. I just want to finish the visio diagram to show pin outs and everything else.

by the way, anyone have links to good free electronics components visio stencils? This is taking longer because i need to make my own shapes (which look really bad).