So, I ordered an Anovos pack during the Memorial Day Sale (note: Currently they have 35% off) but - be mindful! I haven’t gotten any shipping information in over a week!
SO - now I suddenly have time to pick up any and all parts I may need for upgrades and improvements.
Anyway, for once, I have plenty of money, and I wanted to see what I can and need to do to upgrade the thing to awesome level! I figure I’ll put a few of the video game lights in, but I wanted to know what I should get to really make the thing stand out! Specifically:
What electronics to buy, and how to get those damn things in!
What labels/legit parts
Aluminium thrower?
I really want to make the thing shine! I’m willing to do whatever it takes. I’ll swap out the damn motherboard if I have to.
I Do have a Matty Collector wand (actually a couple of em’) and I thought maybe that could help!
What’s the scoop? You list it, I’ll do my best to create a tutorial on how to do it from any instructions and help I get! Will do the same if someone could just point me to a damn 59 Miller Meteor Futura!
It’s a in stock item so they say a couple of weeks when in reality it will probably be a month!
That’s how long it took them to send me mine that was a “In stock item”, thankfully nothing was broken but I was missing the aluminum block for the ion arm.
I upgraded most of the parts on mine. Ribbon cable clamps, resistors, ion arm end cap, elbows, shock mount, clippard valve, tubing, labels, crank knob. I just received replacement parts(took a year) for the thrower so I can get finally get started on it. All in all, not bad given the price. Shame about the company’s practices, though - probably will not buy anything Anovos again.
That looks GREAT! Did you get parts from GB Fans? I’m also trying to figure out how to do age it a bit - I figure a few aluminum pieces might help. Are the n-filter, resistor arm etc. already mounted, or will I be able to add those in? I’d love to do GBFans aluminum!
Next question - how in the world do I paint this thing? You have some nice weathering.
ALSO: Since I’m building one, would it be worth picking up a shell from the GBFans store? I feel like once I’ve knocked out one, the second should be much easier to do, and more accurate.
I also have one of the Spirit packs I’ve been working on for a spell.
You may have been right about this - I got my a-frame, but have not received the pack I ordered in MAY. I’m really, really hoping that it gets out before too long! It seems like it’s been forever!
Well, I emailed Anovos on 7/18 and 8/5 and again today, 8/27. I haven’t even gotten a reply!
I’m tempted to just start ordering GBFans parts and… figure it out. I don’t know that I have all the skills to do a great job, but maybe it’s worth trying.
Quick question - how did you mount the new clippards? Did you drill off the bottom?
Also, did you replace any of the parts with aluminum? I’m considering bouncing a few parts to aluminum, but I wasn’t sure if they could be mounted, and also I was a bit worried about what might happen structurally if I did so!
I used a Dremel to cut the bottom off of the Clippard stem on the pack valve. I believe the thrower body already had an indentation in it that allowed the Clippard to sit unmodified. That could be the other way around; it’s been a while since my build.
I noticed your build thread mentioned you used multiple paints - where did you apply each paint, which paints did you use, and how are they running? I’m guessing painting probably needs to come first!
I was trying different brands of semi-gloss/satin paint. Some were almost the same a “full” gloss, some were bordering on flat. One brand comes with a “trigger” type can, but always dribbled down my hand.. I was testing each brand on different parts, and in the end any part that had a decent finish - no “orange peeling” or drips/runs - I used. Overall, I gave it a light coat of a satin clear acrylic. I’ll round up what I can find and post a picture in my thread.