hey guys, im looking to build a pack using norms plans and the parts list, but im not sure about some of these items.
-
the coax boot.
-
nut sleeve insert thing
-
knob screw covers
-
cable/covered clamp
-
alkon aq 68-p male connector
-
rubbermaid turntable
-
the 7 inch lan patch cable
what are these used on and what do they look like? im fumbling around in the dark on this. also, any helpful hints would plus pictures would be awesome. thanks!
I noticed you posted this back in August. If you haven’t received help already and still need it, I’ll answer as best I can below:
-
the coax boot - I found these at Radio Shack (as listed on Norm’s material list). They are used to cover coax cables. I found them in a plastic blister pack on a side wall in my local store. A pack of two was like 99 cents. If you’re looking at Norm’s plans, page 14 has the best picture of them as he’s showing you how to install them.
-
nut sleeve insert - Part L on the materials list. These don’t seem to be made by Anderson Barrows anymore at Home Depot, but by Watts. I found it easiest to identify them by the item number A-4. They were back in the plumbing department. These are brass.
-
Know screw covers - still looking for these myself. They don’t seem quite so easy to find. Any clues?
-
Cable/Covered clamp - The materials plan calls for these to be purchased at Lowe’s. My Lowe’s had them in hardware. They were in an aisle in some pull out drawers which had pictures of the parts on the front of each drawer. They come in several sizes. I got 5/8", but haven’t yet verified if that is correct. I also saw some at Home Depot, in the electrical department, they were made by another company but looked similar.
-
Alkon AQ68-p male connector. This piece is somewhat mysterious. It’s listed on the materials plan, but not specifically labeled on his blueprints. It’s part U. It’s referred to in the little inset on page 12, but it doesn’t say wher eit goes. Look on page 6 of the blueprints. See the little brass hexagon connector which goes on the side of the Attenuator? That is our mysterious part U. It is not labeled on this page. I’ve found these are hard to come by without buying them in bulk. The materials list shows them on gagestore.com catalog, but they aren’t carried there anymore. I happened to purchase a lot of 11 of these on ebay. I’ll need 2, which leaves me with 9 extras. I’d be happy to sell each of my extras for the $4.00 each price listed on the materials list. Just send me a private message (PM).
-
Rubbermaid Twin Turntable - I’ve discovered that Rubbermaid is cutting back on some of it’s kitchen and household goods. I purchased mine on Amazon.com. If you Google Rubbermaid Twin Turntable, you’ll see Amazon and Acehardware and other options to order them online. I’m not sure they are still manufactured, but they can obviously still be obtained if you look online.
-
the 7 inch Lan patch cable - materials list says to purchase at Best Buy. These are just computer network connection cables. It says yellow and blue, doesn’t specifically say it, but this means one of each. You can probably look around another store and maybe get a different name brand or a generic for less than these. I haven’t purchased my own yet.
I hope this was helpful. Please send a message if you need the Alcon parts or anything else I can help with.
Links in this post may be affiliate links. Purchases made through them help support this site at no additional cost to you.