Hey guys. I am thinking of making some proton packs and some other props and I would like to get into resin casting. Is there any specific brand or casting kit that you would recommend? I think I was at the local arts and crafts shop and they had something I think was called Pour-a-cast or something like that but since I am new to this game I decided to ask first.
I use Pinkysil silicone for molding, and Easy-Cast resin. Very easy to use, but I don’t know if those products are exclusive to Australia or if you can buy them overseas. Either way there would be other products that are exactly the same.
www.barnesonline.com.au is where I buy my stuff.
I think the most popular brand in the US is Smooth-On. I believe it was Ken Huegel (Volguus), one of the best and original GB resin parts creators, who first recommended the brand to me. I haven’t done any casting in a long time, but I can’t say enough good things about Smooth-On.
I’ve also heard good things about Alumilite, but never personally used it.