Resin casting..

Hey guys. I am interested in getting into resin casting and I just wanted to know if any of you experienced ghost heads had any tips for me. I saw stuff to resin cast with at Michaels art and crafts stores. They called the stuff liquid plastic. I forgot what the mold stuff was But I have also heard that some resins are brittle so I was hoping that someone experienced would be able to tell me exactly what I need to buy and hopefully I wont have to order it from the web. Thank you so much.

First and most important word of advice, stay as far away from Castin’ Craft brand anything found at most of the retail hobby shops like Michaels…

Well local pickup really depends on your location…

If you have a local mom/pop hobby shop see if they carry Alumilite or Smooth On brand resins and silicones…

If you live near a Dick Blick (Blick) store stop in there the carry Synair brand resins and silicones in stock at most stores, they are not bad either they are labeled as Por-A-Kast and Por-A-Mold lines… Make sure to get the silicone based Por-A-Mold NOT urethane, yeah it cheaper but it’s NOT good for casting urethane resins in… You do want the Por-A-Kast in urethane though… They also carry Castin’ Craft but you have been warned already to steer as far aways as you can from Castin’ Craft…

If not purchase online, Smooth On and Alumilite both sell online and it’s easy enough to find other stores that sell these brands as well…

Can you please explain why we shouldn’t use Castin’ Craft?

It’s ■■■■… Honestly…

Castin’ Craft is cheap for a reason, it’s poor quality, hard to work with, rarely sets right (stays sticky) and is all around just ■■■■ compared to the companies I listed…

BTW this is not only my opinion (it’s shared by many and you will see many people echo the same opinion) anyone that has worked with these products in any extent will almost certainly agree…

For a few dollars more you get a product that is many times superior and actually performs like it should…

can I use fiberglass resin of dose it have to be urethane resin?

No, you can not use fiberglass resin for casting… The parts will be VERY brittle…

Exoray is right. You have what you pay for.

As for fiberglass resin, it is intended to be mixed with fiberglass. The strength comes from the fibers, the resin only being to hold it together… so again, Exoray is right that you cannot use fiberglass resin or it will be brittle.

so as long as it is a urethane resin I should be cool?

Well not exactly there are cheap urethane resins that are garbage as well… I suggest you use one of the three I suggested as I know there are all good resins…