crappy pack!...

Hey guys, I have been perusing these forums forever..

but, now that its getting closer to season of sam hain.. me and my band mates (there are 4 of us) have decided that the ultimate costume this year for us to go as has to be the ghostbusters.

So between now and late October, I have to build 4 proton packs. Each band mate is going to pitch in the $$ for his own flightsuit etc. so the costs I am not too worried about. Just having enough time, and getting it done right. I want the packs to be lighted. I want to turn some heads. We live in south ga.. so on halloween u don’t see many people “go all out” most of it is wal mart 20$ costumes and such. So if we walk through wally world dressed as the fab 4.. we would surely turn some heads.

I won a work costume contest last year, with a ghostbuster costume I concocted in a week.. having built an entire pack in 1 day. The pack was pretty pathetic using pretty much junk I found around the house and whatever else I could make work. It looked enough like the real thing to ■■■■ the general public.. but I want to do it right this time. Do I have enough time?

take a look at the crappy one I made for that contest (won 100.00 by the way!) Its in rough shape. Its been in storage for a year, and was not that well made to begin with. The gun i took off because it was just too terrible to show.. it was a modified RGB toy gun. anyway.. comments welcome.. I want to do it right this time!

Pretty good!

Looks good.

yeah, thats a pretty good pack for a one day/junk build…i’d be pleased with that out come. anyhow, to answer your question, 4 packs from now to 10/31? i dunno. it really depends on how accurate you want to make 'em. most of the totally screen accurate packs on here i think take more than a year or two to make. i’ve been working on mine since about april/may, and am only prolly 85% screen accurate, and i really was trying for 100%.

i guess what i’m trying to say is if you wanna make a better version of your one day build, yeah totally do-able. but if you want something really screen acurate, its gonna take a little more time than you got.

thats my 2 cents. anybody else?

Why is this topic called crappy pack? It’s better than mine lol.

I’ve nearly finished 3 packs i started in late july. I’ve probably only spent about 50 hours though in total on the 3 of them. However, I did have a pack that i built last year to work from and the advantage of a school workshop (I’m a Tech teacher) with loads of room and a lot of equipment, tools and machinery. So i agree with the other posts, it does depend on how accurate you want your packs. Mine aren’t as accurate as i’d hoped as i’m impatient and have to rush everything. My point is that it depends on how much time you have each day, what tools and equipment you have, and how accurate you want the Packs to be, good luck on your quest for the holy grail!

Well, mine isn’t movie accurate, but it is based on movie accurate prop plans. I build fun packs for my nephew and son, too. I started back in February of '08 and have spent every spare minute on the costume. I’m waiting for an amp from ebay to boost the sound of my mp3 sound fx, so I’ll be ready for Halloween. If you have a black bumpy thing that lights up and have the GB patch on a jumpsuit, that’s good enough for the public. But movie accurate? “We may have to put some overtime on this one!” Good luck, though! Oh, and for putting a pack together in a day, that turned out great!

Not bad!

WOw man - as far as 1 day packs go that’s not bad at all!

I’d say make a go again this year with the same sort of strategy… just figure out how to make them hollow and throw some decent flashing lights in and you’ll be set! Good luck to you!