Dragoncon 2013.

Anyone actually able to get a room at a convention hotel? I’m wondering how the debacles of this past convention will affect attendance of past con-goers.

I would like to go this year.

I will sleep at the foot of your bed in a Tweetie Bird night shirt.

D*C 2012 was my first, so I have no basis for comparison in terms of debacles. I did manage to get a marriott room a half hour ago. I also have a sheraton room with double beds that I no longer need from aug 30-sept 2 if anyone is interested. The person on the phone did say that transfers are available.

Rooms for dragon con have become increasingly difficult to get the last 5 years. Before then you could wait until about 3ish months before con and get a room pretty easy. The last 5 years however if you wait you will not get a room in any of the con hotels unless you pick up a cancellation and then the price tag goes up significantly. They open pre reg for rooms around the end of october for the rooms blocked for dragon con …that registration has been full and closed inside 30 minutes all of the last 5 years. Make reservation as early as possible to get the best price and to ensure you get a room…after that you are at the mercy of people canceling and rate hikes. I know one couple that got a room the day of con starting on a cancellation but they ended having to pay more for a single then we did for a large suite

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

Part of me just wants to get one of the fancy suites and cram people into it.

We got into the Sheraton right before they sold out. It took a couple of weeks after the con for them to sell out, and they were taking reservations during D*C this year.

We had our suite booked september 10th…like 7 days after con. It helps if you have a long standing relationship with one of the hotels

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

The hyatt may have been the only one with specific days for booking then…we have stayed there 11 of the last 12 years. Seems like my buddies were stating similar booking situations for the Hilton and the Marriott too though

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

That happened today for the Marriot, which was the last hotel that wasn’t already sold out. If you don’t have a room by now good luck.

DC is a blast…its all worth it. And in 2013 ill actually get to check out pke surge…with completed equipment and hopefully 20 or 30 lbs lighter

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android

By a freak accident (or miracle rather), we managed to get a room at the Hyatt after the Early Bird res block was full. Taking the blessing this year, and praying that next year, the Con Gods don’t smite me!

I’ll be at the Embassy Suites about a half-mile walk away. I usually stay at the Days Inn, but it’s closing entirely in 2013. :< I enjoy the walk, though, and this is about comparable for the furthest hotel.

I won’t, however, be marching with the GBs this year because it’s the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, and I’m a Whovian… so…

But I’d like to represent. I’m going to attempt to make the Tenth Doctor’s “ghost” scanner backpack from Army of Ghosts. Since we’re generally nearby in the parade, I’ll stop by to greet everyone.

And what debacles? I mean, yeah the hotels were weird with their rules on how to get a room, but I didn’t see anyone get murdered or trampled or anything. The parade was a tad bit more clusterfucky than last year, but it wasn’t unbearable.

I didn’t see any actual dragoncon management/hotel issues at all, either. if anything this year went smoother than the previous year.

Next year’s relocation of all the merchandise oppertunities to the Weston though is going to be a game changer kinda thing.

(We never even went over to the Weston this last year at all.)

I know that the Marriott reservations hit a wall when the site they use to book stuff froze and then crashed, all within the first 30 minutes of opening rooms.

I already have a room at the Westin in case everyone was wondering where the orgy is going to be.

borz my ride might need to vip treatment. you down?

Man, sure am glad my in-laws live right up the street from Atlanta…maybe I’ll make an appearance there next year!

Just got our cards in the mail yesterday!

I dragged my feet and missed the the price cliff, but w/e.

I am working diligently on having my equipment built and ready as fast as I possibly can and still have a product I can be proud of to take to events before Dragon Con 2013. I am curious however as to what PKE Surge typically consists of. I have attended Dragon Con every year for the last 12 and have seen the GBs running around but 2013 will be my first big con with full on GB gear. So other then the parade and the boozing what should I prepare for?