Dyeing a uniform

ok - Flightsuit. I had a ■■■■ time getting it right - so here’s my recipe for Australians who have purchased the kitbag dot com dot au Rothko Flightsuit.

Size: I am 187cm tall and 85kg in weight. I got a Large size and it fits very well, bit of room around the stomach, but that goes as the thing will shrink when you submerge it in hot water a few time.

Colour: I got the Khaki of course.

Composition: it is 45% polyester and 55% cotton. This becomes important later on.

Preparation: unpick the velcro name tag patch with a razor blade. Wash in the machine, cold load.

Dyeing process: first, I followed the tips from people on this board. I went to Lincraft and bought two boxes of RIT Colour Remover, a box of RIT dye in Pearl Grey and a box of Purple.

First I followed the Colour Remover directions then washed it. Then I prepared the Pearl Grey with a dash of purple, stove top method, in a huge stainless steel pot. Put the suit in - went a strange light green colour. Pulled it out - it was a strange grey/khaki colour with purple spots all over it, like a leaky pen. ■■■■ in a hat. Removed all that colour with the second box of RIT Colour Remover (gets you back to square one) and started again, but only with Pearl Grey. Still not right - it was far too khaki. Had to get more Colour Remover and start again. At this point I was pretty fed up, so I decided to change tactics: bought a box of Dylon brand Charcoal Grey from a fabric shop called Cleggs. More expensive $14.95, but you get more dye.

Washed the suit again, followed the Dylon instructions for stovetop method - came out looking amazing. If I had a camera I’d take a photo and show you. It’s quite grey looking under the energy saving fluorescent light bulbs and khaki looking in natural daylight. I presume that the cotton soaked up the colour and the polyester didn’t. The only downside is that the stitching is a shade lighter than the fabric, probably because its polyester.

If I had to do it again, I’d do the following:

  1. unpick the velco

  2. wash the suit in cold water, machine wash, spin dry only.

  3. Use a box of RIT colour remover follow the instructions - check at the supermarket for it, I was paying $7.95 from Lincraft, then saw it at the independant grocers for $4.95.

  4. Wash and spin dry.

  5. Use another box of RIT colour remover.

  6. Wash and spin dry.

  7. Use one box of Dylon Charcoal Grey dye - stove top instructions.

  8. Wash and let it line dry.

good luck - hope this helps.