I dont know if this is a replica or the real Ecto-1 but if it is the real car its about time its in a museum
I can’t imagine that’d be a replica given the Petersen’s reputation. That and the real car was at Comikaze locally a few months back so I wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up there. With any luck I’ll get to head over there and check it out (again) before it leaves. Thanks for the heads up!
If you get the chance be sure to get pics of the rear end..it’s been wrecked TWICE in the rear with no repairs done since “restoration” so if the damage is there it will confirm it as the screen used car.
if that pic is the car they have in PAM right now it is the Sony Ecto…
Ill be up there next month so ill stop in on it then
Wow, hadn’t heard that. Crummy cell phone pics but here’s the car from Comikaze which was supposedly the movie car. The wear on the chromed bumper is about all I see that jumps out. Can you see anything I’m missing?
I have a lot to learn about the various Ecto1s apparently. Unfortunately the car might not be there next month if the article is accurate. If I can get into the Ramis tribute/movie night tomorrow I’ll try to find out.
Morydees
I think when you build/involved with one or two you get an eye for the little things on the Ecto’s … your a car guy so you know no two cars are the same ..
Oh no doubt! It just struck me how the only Ecto I’ve ever seen in person ended up being called “the” movie car. From my untrained eye, it seemed to be the Sony restored car but with Chase mentioning the damage that should be there, I was a bit confused.
Sad to say the first identifiers I look for when asking “is it the Sony car” are a front lightbar that is too wide and super dull/foggy lightbar lenses…

Forgive my Ectomobile ignorance (I don’t usually browse in here) but can you explain the light bar thing? The photos on Petersen site that claim it’s the CVS restored Sony car show what appears to be a wide light bar (as does the Ecto in my photos) but a video I saw of the restoration a while back showed the thinner one which appears to match the movie (if my eyes remember correctly).
I checked the equipment page on Ectomobiles and didn’t see anything referenced so if there’s a main thread/FAQ that goes into the accurate history of the various Ecto1/1A I’d love to educate myself.
well someone crawl under the passenger side back door and look at the floor .. the sony car or movie used car has a big floor patch there …This I know for a fact .. and no one is going to go that far … as well as there a few other spots the body it self has been patched …
as to the light bar the one on the car now is not the one that it came out of restoration with… but i know nothing
One of the keys for me is the lightbar mounting bracket on the front which doesn’t match the one on the back, and from that photo it looks like the front one doesn’t match.
This seems really unnecessary.
as to the light bar the one on the car now is the one that it came out of restoration with…and yes the lenz has haysed .. but they all do after being outside for any amount of time … the shorter movie used light bar was missing from the car before going out to CVS..
Sorry I miss typed my statement on the last post …
Easiest way to ID the movie car is the backward sniffer tubes, front lightbar has a wider speaker grill and different mounting brackets than the rear bar, the propelloray missing it’s outer lens and the C5GB siren being silver painted, not chromed and poorly mounted (bolted to a piece of wood on the rack). Sometimes the radome pedestal is on backwards (like it currently is shown). Those are the biggest giveaways. Closer inspection would show other smaller details not easily identified in pictures.
Gonna go ahead and chime in on this to verify this is the real Ecto-1
A while back, they brought Ecto-1 out for the GB screening at the Arclight in Hollywood.
The persons transporting the vehicle damaged the right front quarter quadrant and right rear quarter quadrant of the car.
If you look in the 2 photos from the car currently on display,
You can see that the damage/long scratch and denting on the front right quarter quadrant is still there.
Aside from the other rack details pointed out,
This is a major giveaway as to this being the real car.
Hope this information helps clear things up
DD74
Excellent information everyone, thanks!
I always ID the car using the black radome tower, instead of white.

