Ecto Goggle label development - Revised labels posted

With University work out of the way and my free time now free to devote to props again, I decided to approach a idea I’d had concerning the side label of the Ecto Goggles.

For those not in the know, the Ecto Goggles in the first movie featured a sticker which was left over from when the Ecto Goggle frame was a part of the PVS-5 Night Vision Goggles, which detailed the parts of the Goggles and the operation process.

It’s a nice graphic, and thanks to the way it was shot, we never caught a close shot of the sticker, which would’ve revealed the diagram sported the original NVG lenses, as well as a reference to them being a ‘NVG’, rather than ‘Ecto Goggles’.

And so I decided to give the lable a bit of a update, covering a new graphic and remodelled text.

This is the current rendition, pending any possible changes based on the feedback from here and Proptopia:

Displayed larger than actual size.

Using the vector version of the graphic that busybuldr had grabbed from Ken’s PDF file for scale and the label template, I had a guide for the font, text layout, size of the arrows and the size of the graphic.

I sketched a new graphic out with the Ecto Goggle lenses and imported it into Illustrator where I scaled it, and created the new vector graphic. I then added in the arrows and text where appropriate, keeping some of the labels which were appropriate, editing others and dropping those that couldn’t be applied to another part of the Goggles.

Once finalised, in the spirit of Ken’s own stickers, this will be uploaded for free download as a .PDF file.

I do have at two questions:

  1. Would people like the option of having the lable contain the name off the device? There’s certainly room for it if there was demand.

  2. If the device name is included, do you want the option of having a “Paragoggle” label as well as a “Ecto Goggle” lable?

Kingpin, that’s great that you’re doing this! :cool:

To answer your question and my vote:

  1. Would people like the option of having the lable contain the name off the device? There’s certainly room for it if there was demand.

No.

  1. If the device name is included, do you want the option of having a “Paragoggle” label as well as a “Ecto Goggle” lable?

Has the verdict come out about the actual name of those goggles is, now that GBTVG labels it as paragoggles? I like “ecto goggles” better.

No verdict has been passed, but some people do now call them by their videogame name. I prefer Ecto Goggles as well, but I respect that now there’s an official name in ‘Paragoggles’.

It’s why I’ve concidered adding a lable which references both names in the final PDF version/s.

Nice work Ben! I vote Ectogoggles. Paragoggles doesn’t sound right for me.

Yup…Ectogoggles sounds much better…nice work Ben!

Keith

Looks great! FYI: You have OPERTATING instead of OPERATING on your sample.

Nice work! I wouldn’t mind puting this on a pair of Ecto Goggles.

Thanks, I’ll add that to the list of modifications I need to do before posting the ‘final’. :slight_smile:

Any update on this?

Nice work, Kingpin !

I vote to leave the name off. You can put the name on an Mod ID plate, like I did, for the upper right hand surface of the frame.

I’ll try get the final design posted before Halloween.

That’d be rad, I’d love to add it onto my goggles. Great work on this, by the way.

Sorry for the delay, everyone. :slight_smile:

Ecto Goggle Label Download Link

Included in the file are two versions of the same sticker, the only difference being the wording of the instructions… one which mentions ‘Ecto Goggles’, the other only mentions ‘Goggles’. Due to the inclusion of the longer ‘Ecto Goggles’ name on one sticker, the word ‘first’ has been dropped from #2 of the operating instructions.

I’ve just made a test print of the file using a HP Laser Jet M1005, which sized the labels at 1¾ inches (4.5 cm) wide and 2 inches (5.1 cm) at the tallest point. They appear a tad smaller then they should be so a slight adjustement in the print settings may be recommended, but this is subject to whether you print them yourself or get them done at a place like Staples.

Please let me know if there’s any issue with the download link, I’ve never used that place before, so I may reupload them at Megaupload if YourFileLink isn’t trustworthy - be careful not to click on the adverts for their toolbar, which sport a bit ‘DOWNLOAD’ button.

I hope you enjoy them, and thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

Thanks for making these!

This is a question to those who own a set of PVS-5 NVG frames which feature the original operation instruction sticker:

I would like to know just how wide the sticker is (preferably in Centimeters, but I can work with inches) so I can see if the Labels I recently uploaded are printing out at the correct scale, or not.

Thanks for any help provided.

I’m glad these have been so warmly welcomed! :slight_smile:

However, if you guys haven’t printed them yet, I request you hold off of a day or two to let me check my sizing, I believe the dimensions may have been a bit on the small side, so I’m planning to enlarge them to a set of measurements I got from Flynn.

I’ll update with the revised file, which’ll also include a few more sets of the labels.

Awesome- Can’t wait…! They look great!

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Right, the labels have now been rescaled, so pending a print test tomorrow to guage the size, the updated file should hopefully be uploaded tomorrow evening.

In addition, the new file will contain four copies of each label, giving you more to work with for multiple Goggles/room for error if cutting them out goes wrong, and makes a better use of the paper stock.

Following some comparisons with a set of PVS-5 frames I have (the frame used for the Ecto Goggles), I’ve produced a new PDF file containing a set of rescaled labels.

Additionally, three extra sets have been added to make better use of the paper stock when people decide to print it up.

Download Link

Please ensure that you check the scale setting when printing them at home, my machine would set them to display at 94% by default, so you may have to alter this to ensure they print at 100% size.

I cannot guarentee size results of printing at a place like Staples or Kinkos, so I recommend you request them to ensure it’s printed out scaled at 100%. At the correct scale, they should be in the realm of 51mm wide, and 58mm long.