Ecto Windows tinted

Why do you think the windows where tinted on top and bottom all the way around the Ecto??? but the middle was left clear??? I am surprised the back was not totally tinted since in the movie what they did was sorta… Top Secret and all…

Anyway, Must be hard to drive it like that with that type of tint job…

What do you think?

Well … I’m not sure what the reasons were for that type of tint job, but I do know that more often than not, tint is sort of a one-way thing. It would be VASTLY easier to see out than in. And from what I hear Dan Aykroyd did a lot of the driving during filming. I also hear he’s quite the excellent driver.

Cheers,

Patrick

Not only that but that’s why the clear stripe was left, I’m willing to bet, is so you can lean down and see when things are harder to see. And just so you know, her windows aren’t tinted all the way around, her windshield was left clean.

My guess is they did it just for the looks and to be unique.

Well I have no idea if this is the reason (and I rather doubt it) but just as a point of interest, that was a pretty popular tint pattern among some of the custom car clubs around here. They did it because of a loophole in the tint law. Basically with the clear line in the middle, you could make the tint above and below it as dark as you wanted to. Whereas, there’s a maximum darkness you can’t go beyond for the entire window. Auto-parts places did (and continue to) sell tint that was illegally dark. But it’s legal for them to sell it as long as they don’t install it.

I actually saw a lowrider truck on the road today with it’s windows like that.

I liked the look of the tinted windows , it added something to the overall appeal of the Ecto

We did the tint in our Ecto just like the movie one and that little line in the middle makes a lot of difference in sight when you’re driving around when its dark as hell.

Since the majority of the filming had been done at night my guess, along with it being stylish, would be the sight factor.

Although I could easily be totally wrong. Look at the Keaton Batmobile. I don’t think the sight factor really worried them with that.

You legally can’t tint your windsheild, it’s a law in the UK and I’m sure it’s one in the US.

You can’t have blue lights or sirens on your car, either.

Um… yes, but that’s not what we’re discussing here… :expressionless:

I was just inferring that legality wasn’t the reason they didn’t tint the windshield by exemplifying other illegal aspects of the car.

Well, as for the blue lights, I believe that’s a state by state issue. EMS can run blues in Illinois, so hypothetically…if your an EMT or higher level, and own an Ecto replica, you may find a “loop hole” in the system. (Not that you would EVER use that vehicle to go to a call) but none the less. Plus, the cops would have to be REAL dicks to give you a ticket, IMO. Not to get to far off topic… not back to the tint issue.

It is indeed a state by state thing, in Georgia if the car is considered antique (25 years old) and could have had lights or a siren on it in it’s origional use, then you can put them back on providing they are period correct (i.e. no strobe lights on something that would use the old roller style bar) and that they are only used in parades, carshows, or for testing while the vehicle isn’t moving. Also in Ga. some hearses use lightbars so the allowed colors are Purple, Amber, Clear, Red (if a combination or ambulance) or Blue (if ever used by the military or police)

interestingly ANY color is allowed if building a specific movie car replica (there’s actually a state ordinance for this so at some point someone must have challenged the old law.

Also as another random point of interest the EMA here uses a Green and Red lightbar on their vehicles.

You are correct sir. Although it would be funny to see an old hearse full of strobe lights driving down the road :lol:

I’ve heard that too. I would assume that is state by state as well? Or do you know?

Well that must be a lot of fun at Christmas time! :lol: :lol:

The blue lights are a state by state issue.. .. like Sean has blue lights on his ecto.. his state my let him do it.. some states.. such as Tx.. say no blue, red, or white flashing lights.. .. some states actually say… you cant even have them Mounted.. not just not on..

In Tx I do get to use Amber.. all I want.. lit up.. but some states dont let you use those either..

coughillinoisblowscough

um i believe in the us, u can have tinted windows but not to where u cant see inside i think!

Yeah, they usually go by what percentage the window is tinted. Most of the time they don’t care about the back windows, it’s the windshield and front side windows the care about… I think laws like that, although similar, go more on a state by state basis and not nation wide. I don’t think tinting laws are Federal. Maybe?

Nice avatar by the way.

thanks man, Ghostbusters 1 and 2 are pretty good imo. btw im also tall as vigo and he scares me.