Egon's hardhat from street scene - what do the stickers say?

So thanks to ramcuda’s excellent project where he’s re-creating an Aykroyd-style hard hat (Hard Hat from GB 2 - Other Props - GBFans.com) and most importantly, thanks to ramcuda himself pointing out the auction to me, I recently nabbed this Egon-style hard hat.

I won it for the opening bid of $1.99 and had to pay about $6 in shipping. When it arrived, the seller had actually paid $8 to send it to me, so the poor guy didn’t make a dime off listing it. In fact, with the seller’s fees, he went in the hole.

Anyway, as you can see it’s pretty close to the correct shape and style.

But now I want to identify the stickers on it. Anyone had any luck figuring out what they say? I haven’t seen the HD version of GB2 yet.

There’s a ■■■■■■■■■ sticker in the front with silver-y text, and then two smaller stickers on either side.

Alex

1 Like

Nice grab on that … not that anyone ever gets anything good off ebay …LOL

I would love to know what the stickers are to …

it may com down to making up what ever wording you want as long as it looks the same in layout .

Alex I’m gonna keep looking but going frame by frame from a version on TV that’s recorded…

I get something out of the top lines

PREVENT ELECTRIC SHOCK

REMOVE DISPLAY PERMISSION

now obviously that’s not right because it makes no sense but its tough to try and figure out what letters I’m actually seeing and trying to fit words that make sense…

dunno if a few words that are recognizable will give someone a jumping off point. I tried looking up hard hat labels…no clue on the red one!

I would say that just like all the warning labels on the pack, they found a decal that fit that front square area and looked “sciencey”. If you could read it I would bet it would make no sense being on a hard hat.

Thats great !!!

Hardhats can be specially made to resist/prevent shocks, so the first part might not be far off.

At first look, I think the first two lines say:

RUNWAY VISUAL RANGE

REMOTE DISPLAY PROGRAMMER

Here are the caps I made so you guys can see what you think.

Hey, that’s some great deciphering you’ve done there!

I did a search for the six words you think it says, and sure enough, those are real terms in aviation equipment. In a nutshell, here’s what I found:

“**Runway visual range **(RVR), in aviation meteorology, is the distance over which a pilot of an aircraft can see the surface markings delineating the runway or identifying its centre line. RVR is normally expressed in feet or meters.”

Elsewhere:

"A full RVR system consists of:

  1. Transmissometer projector and related items.

  2. Transmissometer receiver (detector) and related items.

  3. Analogue recorder.

  4. Signal data converter and related items.

  5. Remote digital or remote display programmer."

So now we just need to find the sticker off one of these pieces of equipment!

Excellent detective work!

Alex

Also, the model number is in the middle but I can’t make it out in the slightest. I think the last two lines are

(something) SYSTEMS

DIVISION OF (something) CORP.

Helpful, I know.

Oh, man, that actually was helpful.

Might it say “Tasker Systems, a division of Whittaker Corporation” ? :wink:

Because I just got a hit on that in a fuzzy logic search on Google!

Which means the three tiny words below Whittaker Corporation probably say “Los Angeles California”.

Alex

Yeah, I thought it said Whittaker but I wasn’t positive!

From a PDF: "6.10 TASKER SYSTEMS

Tasker Systems, a division of Whittaker Corporation of Los Angeles,

California, produces RVR instrumentation. Recently Tasker Systems design[ed] a new

system, the RVR 500 which supersedes previous systems. They also have designed

modification kits for the FAA/NBS transmissometers.

6.10.1 RVR SYSTEM MODEL 400

Although the FAA has many RVR 400 systems currently deployed, and they

are still available from Tasker on a special order basis, current and future procurements

are for the RVR 500 systems.

The RVR 400 System provides functions similar to those of the RVR 500

System detailed in the next section. The basis differences are that the RVR 400 is

limited in table selection by having only three day tables and three night tables,

there is no continuous failure monitoring in the 400 systems, and update cycle is

fixed at 48 sec. These units consist of the following:

RVR 400/1 Signal Data Converter

RVR 400/2 Power Supply and Control Unit

RVR400/4P Remote Display Programmer

RVR 400/5 Runway Light Setting Unit

RVR 400/10 Transmissometer System

RVR 400/12T Tower for Transmissometer System.

6-26 6.10.2 RVR SYSTEM MODEL 500

The RVR Series (References 39 and 40) provides improved reliability,

has reduced size and weight, uses integrated circuits (IC), and at the same time

performs more functions that the older RVR 400 equipment.

The new series consists of the following:

RVR 500/1 Computer Main Frame

RVR 500/2 Signal Data Converter Module

RVR 500/3 Ambient Light Sensor

RVR 500/4P Remote Display Programmer

RVR 500/5 Runway Light Setting Unit

RVR 500/10 Transmissometer Systems

RVR 500/12TM Support Tower Assembly, Modified.

For price information, see Subsection 8.2.4.

Some of the new units are detailed below. "

Alex

Well I think the third line on the label is

MODEL RVR ■■■ ■■

No telling what the X’s are.

Judging from the entries on the PDF list, it might be:

**RVR 500/4P ** (Remote Display Programmer)

But we have no way to confirm that at this time.

Alex

I’d agree the first number looks like a 5 and the last two look like 4P.

Just a quick mockup… I think aside from the type, serial, and contract numbers we’ve pretty well figured out what it says.

I’ll probably just sock in my date of birth, etc. and print something up.

Alex

looks good to me !!!

print it and stick it…

if you could maybe you print up two … i think i know someone that might need one …

Oh? Did you find an Egon-style hardhat?

Alex

Oh, and Kevin… does your HD version of the movie reveal any added detail of the other two stickers that are on the sides?

If not, I thought it might be fun to use Zack’s earlier guess for the big sticker of ‘prevent electric shock’… although his ‘remove display permission’ was actually amazingly close to the ‘remote display programmer’ solution.

Alex

I think i have a white hardhat in my garage that looks like egons…never really payed it much attention before. Ill have to dig it out

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ghostbusters Fans on Android