Oh man. This is definitely going to be one for the “favorite characters” list. A GIRL Ghostbuster who’s actually involved in the nitty-gritty of the job (even though she aspires to bigger things)? Yes, more of that please! And that Bayou Man is kind of worth the price of admission all by himself: it’s like “Swamp People vs. the Paranormal,” which is probably the best idea of all time. And I like the deadpan, barely surpressed-rage of the guy who’s in charge. It fits for someone asked to do the impossible with no resources.
And seriously? No containment unit for a city like NEW ORLEANS? Seriously? How you do even move something like that? The Containment Units I’ve seen don’t look particularly mobile!
I like the contrast between this group and the Twin Cities group. The underqualified, underachieving St. Paul Franchise is still in business because shutting them down would lead to too much media scrutiny. Fortunately their actual caseload is pretty light and pretty mundane. The Alabama group suffers from a lack of ghosts to bust, meaning demand for their services is almost zero, meaning they have no income.
Neither of those is true about the NOLA group. For them, business is clearly booming…as it would be, considering that it’s hard to find a supernatural force that ISN’T threatening that region. So why can’t they afford the gear that’s equal to the task?
Well, probably because of profit margins. Corporate takes a cut of all cash a franchise brings in, and the NOLA group, in it’s stripped down state, basically has no overhead costs at all…meaning they are just churning out free money for the head office. In a way, they may be the cash-cow that buffs up the Southern regional numbers enough to keep the struggling franchises like the AL guys in business.
Not that this helps them out in the field. I buy that what keeps them going is that they are that much tougher then everyone else. What they lack in equipment, they make up for with magical knowledge. They are probably more likely then their counterparts to consult Tarot cards, Ouiji Boards, light candles, perform (or contact someone else who performs) exorcisms, chant spells, wear magical talismans… and at least one of them carries a real gun, meaning they probably hunt zombies themselves as well, which is more then the Twin Cities gang did.
… I’ve always been of the opinion that at least one (qualified and properly licensed) person in each franchise should be armed with a conventional firearm, just for those rare occasions when you’re up against a supernatural creature that’s more effected by bullets then proton blasts, like a zombie or a ghoul or a troll or a windigo… the ammo of course would be blessed beforehand to make it as effective as possible.
Basically this group isn’t like any other in the fanfilm universe. I love it. I can’t wait to see what they do next!
…sorry about the wall of text. I get carried away!