Favorite Fan Film?

The Ghostbusters:Cleveland Branch are gearing up (pardon the pun) for our own origin fan film. The script is almost finished, but I wanted to take some comments first.

What is your favorite GB fan film and why?

Any and all comments are appreciated so we can tailor the movie to your enjoyment.

SLC was a gem due to their chemistry and the fact the movie didn’t try and work outside of its means (not to mention the solid production value).

I don’t have just one… Is that bad?

“Freddy vs Ghostbusters”

Story and comedy. This film was the first that broke the Ghostbusters FanFilm barrier and inspired nearly every other GB fanfilm out there. It was an amazing mixture of the comedy and horror from two classic 80’s blockbusters. The acting was perfect (except for Nancy… Sorry.) on all levels and I still enjoy sitting down to watch it. It is nestled next to Ghostbusters 1 and 2 in my DVDs and is worthy of its spot. The comedy is great and the story is continually moving forward with great one-liners.

“First Try”

Effects. The shortest fanfilm out there, but with the BEST ghost and BEST proton streams ever recreated in my opinion. I don’t mean just in looks, but in action. The streams need to have a life of their own, not just a wavy motion. I am still envious of how amazing their Ghost looks on screen, puppets will always beat out CGI in my opinion.

“Ghostbustin’ 911”

Dedication. Without a doubt the most committed team of busters in the states. This film series made the promise of a series and has stuck by it. While some series (TV and Web) get old and mundane as they progress, this series gets better with each episode! They have amazing locations, great plot ideas, and continuing story-lines. While their characters are bumbling, they still provide ample entertainment and make me want to come back.

“Kevin gets a Proton Pack”

Reality. This film is what each one of us lives/wishes we could live. If Ghostbusters were real, this film would be my life. This film is also slammed full of great comedy and unexpected jokes. It doesn’t try to be funny, it IS funny. It’s a natural comedy that just flows well. And of course the excellent use of Real Ghostbusters music is always a plus!

“Ghostbusters: Bloodlines”

Vision. Bloodlines had a very clear vision of where it wanted to go. It wasn’t just a “start’em up” movie, but an entire series planned out with attention to each character in separate episodes. I still wish more would have been made, and I’m still looking forward to the spinoff series that is being planned. I’ve spoken with the director and with what jokes he held back for the later episodes… Let’s just say these episodes need to be made!

I have more to say, but would rather hear other’s opinions as well. Just wanted to get this ball rolling.

Tonight was the first time I saw “First Try.” Thanks for the recommendation man. Puppets really do bring something special to the mix.

Scott, thanks for the shout out, dude.

As far as fan films go, most people would probably list, Return of the Ghostbusters as the best. I disagree. Even though Hank did and amazing job, the movie has some great effects and looks great, in the end it wasn’t a fan film per se but an independently produced Ghostbusters film. Hank raised over 2000 dollars in donations to fund the effects and the movie. Speaking from experience, fan films can be well made but usually rely on ingenuity and creativeness over money, because let’s face it, most fan film makers don’t have a budget and usually rely on friends and family to be their actors. With that said here’s my list:

“Bustin’ Makes Me Feel Good” - One of the first GB fan films on the net. This one has to be included because of its simple production and its effective and really funny ending.

“Ghostbusters: SLC” - My turn to shout out. Scott and company really did manage to produce a well written, well shot and funny “pilot”. I hope that my characters could cross over some how.

“Ghostbustin’ 911” - As Scott pointed out these guys really did produce a funny and engaging series.

and finally

“Freddy vs Ghostbusters” - Hank Braxtan’s first foray into Ghostbusters fan films laid the ground work for future GB fan films. Often imitated, but rarely duplicated, FVGB is fan filmdom at its finest, shot with a Canon XL1 in Frame movie mode and utilizing friends family and acquaintances to rouund out the acting pool. Hank showed us that it is possible to make a funny, well made fan film with very little money and by utilizing what you have.

I haven’t seen “First Try” or Kevin Gets a Proton Pack" yet. But I definitely will be checking them out soon.

With that said, Deadite. I’m a Videographer/Editor here in Columbus. if you need and help or advice let me know. And since we’re on the subjects of fan films, I want to announce that i have a “spin off” series planned from my Knoxville series and hope to start shooting this summer.

Kevin gets a proton pack ftw

Thanks a bunch for the feedback and keep it coming.

Kind of strangely, this project started as a full remake of the first movie, but we realized that it would make more sense to start our own franchise films.

The storyline follows the original movie very closely in the beginning, but starts pulling away towards the end. What do I mean by this? The entire opening is almost replicated (with new lines, jokes, etc.) under the guise of a high school psychology fair. Then we investigate the prop basement of the school auditorium. Then we get a reason for needing quick cash. From there, it starts coming into its own.

The overarching story is about the 100th Anniversary of the Reinvention of Cleveland, and the sinister history behind it.

Does anyone know where I can watch “First Try” or “Bloodlines”? I was following Bloodline closely and then I heard nothing more about it. I know the same guys did The Knoxville ghostbusters series but i only know of episode one.

Thanks for the offer, DarkSpectre. We might need another hand in the post-production.

Bloodlines is actually the season finale of Knoxville Ghostbusters. The show is slated to continue supposedly even though I moved away. Originally the pilot of Knoxville Ghostbusters was supposed to be a lead in to Bloodlines but as any fan filmmaker can tell you, peoples schedules are your worst enemy. That’s when it became the pilot to the series.

Deadite, let know what you need.

“First Try” can be found on YouTube. Just search for First Try Ghostbusters. It’s one of the first hits.

I was actually looking for a good version of the Knoxville Pilot but couldn’t find it. DarkSpectre, any clues? :wink:

On a more personal note, let me just say sorry, I thought your spin-off had already been announced… Didn’t mean to jump the gun. Also, I thought it still was “Bloodlines.” Once again, my bad. Guess I should have checked my sources. :blush:

Do you havea a link to where I can watch Bloodlines online.?

So Knoxville Ghostbusters is Bloodlines? Bloodlines was never released just episode 1 of Knoxville ghostbusters? I was wondering why I missed Bloodlines.

Return of the Ghostbusters: Without a doubt my favorite GB Fan Film. The props, acting, story, and effects were all Hollywood grade, Hank Braxtan did one hell of a job.

Ghostbustin’ 911: I never thought I would like it this much, it’s technically not a fan film. But I still love it.

Ghostbusters SLC: The Props, acting, especially the comedy was all incredible.

Kevin Gets a Pack: Seemed more like a skit than a full fan film, but still a great little film.

Hm, well thats a bit of a tough question.

   I mean, looking back on it, Return of the Ghostbusters really is the first GB fan film to make me say wow.  But for me, the Ghostbusters have always been about comedy...so the first fan film to really make me laugh is Kevin Gets a Proton Pack.

Marshall Divison

Thats true, Roach…that thing was a masterpiece…and in only 2 days!

Thanks, guys, I’m glad you all seem to like ‘First Try’, I worked hard on the effects.

As for my favourite fan films, well number one would have to ‘Ghostbusters SLC’ - by far the best out there for acting and working with in their means to produce a well rounded quality film. Solid story and good acting trump flashy effects any day. Hat’s off for a job well done.

Kevin Gets a Proton Pack - again, simple, but genuinely funny. I’m surprised you hadn’t seen ‘First Try’, because I honestly thought the use of the puppet at the end was a take or joke on mine. Guess it was my ego that made that conclusion.

Freddy vs. The Ghostbusters - This was the first GB fan film I ever saw and really set the bar for future expectations, the scene of Freddy taking the bong hit off the guy is probably the funniest scene in the film…however…

By far the worst GB fan film is ‘The Return of the Ghostbusters’ - to paraphrase Calculon, “the acting was so bad it gave me cancer”. Seriously, it took me 5 tries to sit and watch this thing through. Horrible acting from start to finish. The story was long and boring. The effects were well done for the most part, but again, flashy effects do not a movie make. This is a perfect example of how a film can lose perspective and try to be too big for itself. A solid story and better acting would have helped immensely with the enjoyability of the film.

If you think thats bad, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

I was actually wanting to ask for some advice & tips on just how you made that excellent puppet.