Full Metall Chrome Pack?

I’d like to ask a question that may sound just plain stupid, but I really like to know what you think about it.

A friend of mine told me he would like to build a full metall Proton Pack and then make it a black chrome. Not chrome spraypaint but the real deal. Would that be a good or a bad thing?

In one way I can imagine how cool it would look, but on the other side I would leave this thing in a showcase and never take it to conventions, because it’d be too heavy to carry around.

What do you think of this idea?

personnally it’s not accurate… the black chrome looks like it’s black with a lot of gloss coating… But for a personnal rendition why not… it looks different like those who doesnt use BBQ paint and use Gloss black, or hammered steel black, or any other paint… And can it look more strange than a Hello Kitty pack… lol :wink:

Just kidding… but really if he don’t want to have something accurate… he can do what he wants… sky is the limit.. with the years I saw really special things but some of those looks really good…

Yeah he’s not going for accuracy, more like doing a luxury version of the equipment to show how much he loves the movie.

My own pack build wasn’t very accurate, too. I’m more the “If they made the movie today they would have used the parts available now” guy. So I won’t damn him for not build more accurate.

Don’t know if this will ever happen. He has to ask his boss if may use the tools at his workplace to do it.

A steel pack has been done at least once IIRC. If you’re not going for accuracy than your main problem is weight. Thin metal won’t hold up as well and is harder to weld cleanly while thick metal is too heavy to carry for long.

Whatever you do, don’t build a pack out of random steel gauges…it adds up! :lol:

I always wanted to see someone do a back that as opposed to being painted, was chemically gun blued. It gives a neat finish.

If your buddy is up to it, I say go for it! I would suggest aluminum or steel no thicker than 18 gauge.