GB Star Leslie Jones leaves twitter due to racist Abuse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3696975/Ghostbusters-star-Leslie-Jones-forced-quit-Twitter-sad-heart-receiving-vile-racist-insults.html

I think this is utterly sickening. Noone should be recieving this type of abuse.

This type of abuse in this day and age is utterly unacceptable.

Like it or not Leslie is now one of the GB family and this should not be tolerated in our fandom.

Remember, you cannot reply to those and call them assholes, because that means all fans are assholes and YOU started attacking THEM. internet logic

2 Likes

Absolutely despicable. And people wonder why people keep bringing up the irrational hate against this film. That’s not the words of fans upset about reboots (if it is…there’s the door). This is a hatred that lingered since announcement number one and kept building. Ugh…

Like I said, geek card = shredder. Not something I want to be associated with anymore.

You’ve had a lot of geek cards to put in that shredder! Ha ha…jk.

I belong to a lot of fanclubs? Lol, no you’re right. I mean what I said, I just need to find a new slogan, clearly. :wink:

So sad. If you don’t like the reboot or the people in it, fine. If you don’t like it simply because it stars women because you’re a misogynist and/or racist and spew this hatred toward another human being, you are trash.

It’s Twitter. That place is a cesspool for racist people and trolls, especially over the fact that Twitter won’t do a darn thing to stop it.

I feel bad for her :frowning:

They should bring it up on SNL next season, the basement dwellers deserve some nation wide mocking. :mrgreen:

1 Like

While I do honestly feel bad for her, that’s the kind of abuse you open yourself up to on social media, especially twitter.

If it’s any solace to anyone, Leslie Jones probably has more money in the bank than any of us combined. She’s a big girl, she’ll be fine.

3 Likes

That’s honestly a really ■■■■■■ way of looking at it. So because she has more money than us, she’ll be fine with dealing with the racism and abuse? Sorry, but that’s an absolutely horrible way to look at it. Is it the worst thing that could happen to her? Absolutely not. But justifying it in any way that she will be “fine” simply because she has money is pretty terrible.

This is not the attitude to have about racism. Don’t be indifferent to it because someone has money. It’s not acceptable.

1 Like

Because their ideals are nonsensical racists always make sure to shout louder to try and gain some kind of victory, just sad that now they have a bigger platform to spew their vileness louder than ever. Only way it’ll ever stop is if everybody else in the majority stops being so blasé about it and makes sure their voice is the one thats heard instead.

Lotta love for Leslie, she’s an awesome lady, nobody deserves that kinda abuse.

Just a thought though, how is this not a police matter? Here in the UK we have incitement of racial hatred laws which I’m pretty sure now covers social media to an extent. How does it work in the US?

I wasn’t justifying the abuse by any stretch of the imagination. I’ve been following this whole fiasco on Twitter, she could have a probably should have just stepped away from the whole thing and let the trolls eat themselves. If you notice, a lot of these super stars barely use their twitter accounts, because they know the more you feed the beast, the more the nut ■■■■■ come out of the woodwork.

I only brought up the money thing for one reason. She will eat. She will have a roof over her head. She can take a trip to Fiji, throw her phone in the ocean and get away from the nonsense for a month. Whats more important? Hurt feelings or the necessities of human life?

Nowhere in my original post did I justify racism or claim indifference to racism. A fair majority of the tweets send to her were not racially charged. As I said, I followed this debacle from the start.

In the US we have free speech. The trolls may be awful people, but I wouldn’t want the government shutting them up. If the trolls can be censored, then so can all of us. We have to protect free speech; it is our First Amendment for a reason. Anyway, it’s good for the trolls’ words to be exposed, rather than erased.

You’re not wrong, obviously it’s a First World problem. It’s easy to forget our problems don’t mean much when compared to the rest of the world.

I do understand your point, and wasn’t trying to attack you, just comment on your post. But I do think it is a bit “indifferent” to think that way.

And I agree with your point that a lot of stars just don’t respond because it’s feeding the trolls.

But saying things like “Whats more important? Hurt feelings or the necessities of human life?” really does come off as indifferent. Perhaps that’s not what you intend, or perhaps you don’t realize it. But racism is a lot more than hurt feelings, and it quickly explodes into more than words. So it almost seems to trivialize it to say it’s “hurt feelings.”

In all probably though those trolls would never do anything besides talk.

And that’s my point, to a certain extent. When people communicate via typing on the internet or text messaging, A LOT gets lost in translation. One miss-typed word, one wrong punctuation can be interpreted 5,000 different ways. People, famous or not, seem to lose sight of this fact. The level of anonymity on the internet as a whole is, I think, the real problem. When people talk face to face, it’s a completely different conversation.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn’t want the government getting involved in this. But I wouldn’t mind if Twitter, a business, grew a conscience and starting clamping down harder on those people. The problem is there’s no real accountability.

We’ve entered a new era when abuse can be streamed directly to your phone or into your home.

I’m all for free speech, but this is pretty clearly hate speech and should be viewed accordingly. There’s no social value to what’s being espoused, and what some of these guys are saying is clearly designed only to hurt. That’s not the same as being able to voice opposition to an ideology or speak truth to power. Its a murky area legally, and I know it’s all up for debate – but I sure as hell wouldn’t happily weather crazies spewing insults at me in person. I don’t fully grasp why we deem such behavior online as less of a transgression. Just because these guys wouldn’t say this crap in person doesn’t negate the fact that they’re still saying it.

I wish I could meet Leslie just once so I could give her a big damn hug. As someone said earlier, no one should have to take this kind of abuse.